New member needs advise on going from 15" wheels to 16" on 2006 / 118"WB

sturgisrun

New member needs advise on going from 15" wheels to 16" on 2006 / 118"WB

I am a new member (what a GREAT resource this board is!!!) & I need some help.

My Sprinter -> 2006 / 118”WB / 2500 / High Roof.

I am considering moving up from the stock 15” wheels to 16” wheels.

I know many owners have done this & I would like to get feedback on what I need to watch out for, be aware of, etc. if I make this change.

The Pros & Cons (if any->other than tires/Tyres), that you encountered - or just in your opinion, of making this change.

Any thoughts & advice from those in the know would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

--------------

From the High Desert of New Mexico . . .

sturgisrun -> Terry

-------------

Jsloane

and his elephants
Re: New member needs advise on going from 15" wheels to 16" on 2006 / 118"WB

Please do a search in this forum for 16", 16" wheels, 16" conversions on 118", etc. There are a LOT of previous posts that address this.

zionadventures

This is very easy. The rims fit exactly on the stud placements, and you can run up to 225/75/16 on them. The wheel wells in the 118 and 3500 series Sprinters from 2003 to 2006 are smaller than the 2500 series, but the wheel still work fine.

I have a nearly new set of 4 with Michelin LTX E-rated tires with about 10 miles. They are the steel rims. No rust or pitting at all. We upgraded the wheel and tire set a few months after getting our 2006 138 wheel-base 2500 and the tires/wheels have been stored in my garage since.

sturgisrun

Jay:
I have tried several searched both before & after my postings.

I found many threads some on this subjet & some not.

--> BUT <--

I have yet to find someone who has actually done this. Some that have used after market wheels, etc. but not anyone who has done a simple move from 15" to 16".

Some say you can do it, no problem & others say you CANNOT do it for sure!!??!!??!!??

If there is anyone out there who has done this please post with some Real World experience.

Thanx

----------------

From the High Desert of New Mexico . . .
sturgisrun --> Terry

---------------

katmat

I have done it . 05 3500 dually, had 15" now 16". Glad i did it!

I have done it as well on my 2002, 2500. No problem. Do you have 15" Aluminium wheels? I would be interested in it. For me the change to 16" with the Michelin tires was negative. The stability is worse. I could take same corners with 60mph with my 15", with the 16" no way - I have to slow to about 45mph. The van is about 2,5" higher on 16". :cheers:

Top Bottom