cold weather starting without block heater

angelsprinter

Does anyone know outdoor starting temp requirements, 5cyl diesel, without block heater. Can I charge the battery, trickle, over night without disconnecting the battery? And does anyone have experience adding block heater or battery heat blanket?
Thanks

katmat

I put a block heater on my 05 about a month ago. I am in the Chicago area & it worked great for a couple of weeks. Last week it didn't work. I just checked it out & it looks like the element is bad. Have to talk to the supplier tomorrow.

ZED

Sprinter Newbie
I have started my sprinter below -20C without plugging it in. It was pretty grumpy with me and the glow plugs took a while, but it started. Anything below freezing I prefer to plug in the block heater.

glasseye

My 04 started easily and reliably at -10C to -15C last month. No block heater of any kind. Van sat for days at those temperatures, yet started easily. Glow plug actuation was about 5 seconds.

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
My van is 6 years old with original battery. I plug my block heater in when it is below freezing.

I started it after sitting for 10 day when it was 6F. It then sat today at a job site 4 hours(no block heater), after starting at 10F, and I needed a jump. I plugged it in for the rest of the day and it started right up when I left.

My van is 6 years old with original battery. I plug my block heater in when it is below freezing.

I started it after sitting for 10 day when it was 6F. It then sat today at a job site 4 hours(no block heater), after starting at 10F, and I needed a jump. I plugged it in for the rest of the day and it started right up when I left.
Not that you asked.....have I ever explained my battery replacement logic?:professor:

I generally keep my vehicles until they fall apart. I replace my battery every 5 years. You may get 6 years or even 7 years out of one. Assume you have the vehicle 15 years. If you replace the battery every 5 years you'll need to purchase 2 batteries. If you wait for failure (you did just need a jump) let's assume you purchase one battery at 7 years and the next at 14 years. In 15 years of ownership you still purchased 2 batteries, only now the vehicle goes to someone else with a great battery while you had the hassle of no start and at least a couple jumps. Not to mention that low system voltages increase amperage and load on a starter which can shorten the life.

IMHO. If your goal is to help the next owner it is worthwhile to keep a battery until failure.:popcorn: AP/vic

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Not that you asked.....have I ever explained my battery replacement logic?:professor:

I generally keep my vehicles until they fall apart. I replace my battery every 5 years. You may get 6 years or even 7 years out of one. Assume you have the vehicle 15 years. If you replace the battery every 5 years you'll need to purchase 2 batteries. If you wait for failure (you did just need a jump) let's assume you purchase one battery at 7 years and the next at 14 years. In 15 years of ownership you still purchased 2 batteries, only now the vehicle goes to someone else with a great battery while you had the hassle of no start and at least a couple jumps. Not to mention that low system voltages increase amperage and load on a starter which can shorten the life.

IMHO. If your goal is to help the next owner it is worthwhile to keep a battery until failure.:popcorn: AP/vic
I like your logic. I work about the same way. I plan on keeping my sprinter at least 15 years. I actually said it was going to be the last work van I buy, but I never really plan on completely retiring. I haven't done a search on this, what is the cold cranking amps of the factory battery? Is there an after market that is equal? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I like your logic. I work about the same way. I plan on keeping my sprinter at least 15 years. I actually said it was going to be the last work van I buy, but I never really plan on completely retiring. I haven't done a search on this, what is the cold cranking amps of the factory battery? Is there an after market that is equal? Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Zymurgy,
If I remember correctly a T1N needs a Group 49 battery. Posters have indicated replacement batteries are available from Advance Auto and Tractor Supply among others. It's been discussed if you do a search. AP/vic

Now. Back to our regular programming.......

Hoppingmad

Well its apparent my 05 has decided it needs a battery.
Its 24 out, the radio came on then shut off when the key got to the run position and the glow plugs tried to warm up.
It had been starting in 10 degrees if it was an everyday run. But its sat for 3 days now.
1 surprise after another.
No NAPA or TSC in town and I won't shop at parts quest!!!!!

Hoppingmad

Autoparts reports my battery OK, not great but OK
Radio was not left on, headlights, dome and cargo lights were off also.
Looking for suggestions!

Sticker on mopar battery says november 08, 18 month replacement
Not that I want a failure, but now might be a good time

Top Bottom