Post editing

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
We lose the ability to edit our posts after a certain amount of time, how long is that time period?

I was hoping to edit my initial post in the "high pressure pump removal how to" thread I posted to include details about the installation of the pump. I can certainly just add another post to the thread, but I think it would be nice to have all the info in the initial post.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
OK, I understand there is a 24 hour limit.
What I don't understand is WHY there is a 24 hour limit. :idunno:
In the beginning there wasn't. That's until a user (Suba) started posting stuff and then removing them. It just broke the train of conversation. He hasn't logged in since 2008.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707

I think maybe banning / or limiting one individual's privileges would be more appropriate than having that 24hr limit.

Should we take it off?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I would vote to keep the 24 hour limit. It makes it obvious when a change or clarification is made to the original message. You have to send a new post that highlights the change. Without the 24 hour limit the original message could be changed and no one would know. It is just as easy to send a new message as it is to change the original message.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
FWIW, i agree with Graphite Dave...

(and i'm an inveterate (an invertebrate, too) after-the-fact post (re)editor)
*maybe* increase it to 48 hours (to aid the members who can only hit it once a day), but after that, let their new stuff be a truly new post.

Perhaps a "Thanks"-like flag could be provided?
If the original poster adds a subsequent "edit" (as a new post), he can then go back to the original post and "Thank"(-like) add a link to the new post.
That way it would be (almost) obvious to people reading the thread that "there's more below".

--dick (who will have updated opinions on this for hours and days...)

mendonsy

The reason that I asked was that I made a PDF of Colorado AL's EGR mod and needed to update it twice to get it right.
I was able to replace the PDF the first time but had to add a whole new post for the second one so now there are two versions out there. That might end up confusing someone but in this case it will be relatively harmless.
Most of the other sites that I monitor do not have any limit on edits, but I can see how that could be abused. I suspect that almost anything can be abused by someone with a desire to do it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
mendonsy said:
I was able to replace the PDF the first time but had to add a whole new post for the second one
You could ask sikwan to edit the attachment number in your old posting to reflect the document number given in the new one.

(i suppose another work-around would be for the 24 hour limit to be anchored on the "last edit" versus "created" date?
Thus a situation like yours (and mine :rolleyes: ) would still allow updates...)

--dick (who's used to SprinterVan, where there are no edits...)

mendonsy

You could ask sikwan to edit the attachment number in your old posting to reflect the document number given in the new one.

(i suppose another work-around would be for the 24 hour limit to be anchored on the "last edit" versus "created" date?
Thus a situation like yours (and mine :rolleyes: ) would still allow updates...)

--dick (who's used to SprinterVan, where there are no edits...)
OK sikwan, can we do that and delete the last post?? :thinking:
I suppose I should send him a PM, huh? :shhh:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
OK sikwan, can we do that and delete the last post?? :thinking:
I suppose I should send him a PM, huh? :shhh:
I gave you post-min privileges, although I don't know if it works for users that did not start the thread. You should have edit and delete privileges to your own posts. Let me know if otherwise.

Rafaelo

I would vote to keep the 24 hour limit. It makes it obvious when a change or clarification is made to the original message. You have to send a new post that highlights the change. Without the 24 hour limit the original message could be changed and no one would know. It is just as easy to send a new message as it is to change the original message.
I vote AGAINST the 24 hour limit (sorry GraphiteDave). We should be allowed to edit at will, provided there is a notice saying "this was edited on x date for y reason". In the For Sale forum for instance I just sold one of three Sprinter seats I had for sale, and would like to say one is gone and drop the price on the two remaining--but I can't. I could post a new thread but then I am cluttering up the forum with confusingly redundant and inconsistent posts. Likewise in a very active forum on auxiliary battery chargers (33 pages and counting) I posted information on one battery charger which--now that I have talked directly to the manufacturer--needs to be changed and updated. But I can't. People reading my first post won't realize they have to scroll down twenty pages to read a second post qualifying it. The inability to edit means information that is wrong to start with or has been superceded remains posted forever to fool people: it makes this forum untrustworthy.

Last edited:

it makes this forum untrustworthy.
That's not the result of the 24 hour edit window, that's because of the membership base.

I prefer it stay to as is, but you do make some reasonable points. I think the reason that the limit was imposed is there were problems caused back when it was open season.

As for the misinformation early on situation you described I've found that Seek will edit for you on a request basis. Just send the thread link and what you want to change. That works, but keeps someone from making major changes unnoticed in older threads. My opinion and worth everything nobody paid for it. vic

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
My vote is to keep the current strategy. Limited edit time to fix mistakes that are caught quickly. Future changes should require Sikwan's intervention. When I visit forums that have no limits, I find that threads often have many replies that make no sense because the earlier post has changed. IMHO, it is best to make changes after replies are made, by a new reply post... Al

thorn

I am changing server names and would like to update a couple of posts that I have linked images via my server. Is there a way to to allow me to edit my older posts temporarily?
Thanks

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Re the original topic of this thread:

Can you turn on the "edit mode" for a day or so?
I like this model. Leave editing of older posts "off" by default, but granting short-term exemptions from the moderators upon request for specific purposes. Seems like a good compromise.

Top Bottom