glow plug operation

72chevy4x4

what is typical for glow plug timing? My GP light stays on for 5-6 seconds even when below freezing and always starts easily, but curious why it does not take longer to warm.

72chevy4x4

thanks Jon. MB didn't provide a chart with temp/time data. also, I have not noticed the afterglow being applied (visually by means of the dash indicator). has anyone noticed this feature?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for.....

My Sprinter's glow plug light acts as documented: "The glow plug indicator lamp goes out after a pre-glow period has elapsed."

It illuminates for a second or two (during the "pre-glow" phase, as described in the service manual content) and I never see it again.

It used to bother me that the glow plugs were being energized (in the output stage and after glow phase) w/o the dash board telling me, but I'm use to it now.

-Jon

david_42

That's about what my plugs take. The difference in warm-up time between freezing and too-hot-outside is small, because the glow plug operating temperature is much higher than ambient. I do notice a difference, but only because in cold weather the plugs will take longer than the SRS light.

72chevy4x4

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for....
if my pre-glow time is 'normal' because such a short pre-glow time is not common among other diesel engines (no prior experience w/ CRD's).

based on responses thus far, it is normal. thank you.

Düsseldorfer

Sounds pretty darn normal to me. Because even when it's cold here in Houston... y'know, 50 degF or so... the glow plug light is only on for a couple of seconds. :smirk:

I'm about to embark on a trip up to the Snow Belt. This will be a good chance to see if the same Sprinter exhibits different GP light behavior at widely varying ambient temps. I'll check whether there is a difference between the GP light time here and the GP light time in a place that actually gets cold, and if it takes noticeably longer, I'll be sure to post the results.

D

bikergar

if my pre-glow time is 'normal' because such a short pre-glow time is not common among other diesel engines (no prior experience w/ CRD's).

based on responses thus far, it is normal. thank you.
You're right. It's not like older diesels where you find yourself waiting 20 seconds or longer when it gets really cold. The short duration light is normal. I believe the plugs will still glow without the light under certain conditions. I think Jon and others have knowledge of this.

gary

72chevy4x4

a bit of interesting info from the MB writeup of the 'new' engine taken from a document at
http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/wp-content/documents/OM642.pdf

the following is from the above link:

A separate data network links the engine management system with the generator
and the glow control unit, which lies at the heart of an innovative quick-start
glow system. This shortens the preheating time for the engine to just a moment,
so that the diesel is now also the equal of a petrol engine in this respect.

Top Bottom