2006 blow smoke warrenty question

fredbail

I am blowing smoke under acceleration, it seems to be more when it is warming up( I forget to look at it later,... every damn time). It does seem to have some less power... on hills it doesn't seem to cary itself without downshifting more, not dramatic. 2006 with 50K. The close repair shop down in Germantown Md. is no longer a dodge dealer, and can't do warranty work. Looking for advise from those who might haver had this same problem,year, and whether or not the fix was covered by warranty, so to save myself the trouble of doing things twice. Warranty work would be a good deal farther away. thanks to all

sailquik

Hi Fred,
Unless you purchased some extended warranty coverage when you bought the van the '06 Sprinter warranty was only 36K miles.
Mine sure ended at 36K!
Since you are in Germantown, MD, you are close to the very best Sprinter diagnostics expert in the USA.
I'd suggest a visit to Dr. A over near Pittsburgh, PA. at the Global Sprinter Center.
Smoking usually indicates a fuel injection issue, and Dr. A can diagnose that down to the nth degree.
I think his DRB-III reads the injector output down to about 4 decimal places.
You might need to wait until the weather gets better, but give Dr. A a call.
Hope this helps,
Roger

bstory

Hi Fred,

I bought a 2006 with 50K miles this last summer and was pleased to find out that there is a second "diesel" warranty - required by feds for emissions purposes I think - that covers anything that would increase emissions to 5 yrs or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Since smoke is certainly a sign of bad emissions I'd take it to a warranty shop and get them to figure it out and fix it. I had limp home mode and my bad turbo was replaced in the fall under this warranty at a Dodge dealer with a sprinter tech.

Good luck!

fredbail

I am blowing smoke under acceleration, it seems to be more when it is warming up( I forget to look at it later,... every damn time). It does seem to have some less power... on hills it doesn't seem to cary itself without downshifting more, not dramatic. 2006 with 50K. The close repair shop down in Germantown Md. is no longer a dodge dealer, and can't do warranty work. Looking for advise from those who might haver had this same problem,year, and whether or not the fix was covered by warranty, so to save myself the trouble of doing things twice. Warranty work would be a good deal farther away. thanks to all
Thanks, I may get up there yet.

fredbail

Hi Fred,

I bought a 2006 with 50K miles this last summer and was pleased to find out that there is a second "diesel" warranty - required by feds for emissions purposes I think - that covers anything that would increase emissions to 5 yrs or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Since smoke is certainly a sign of bad emissions I'd take it to a warranty shop and get them to figure it out and fix it. I had limp home mode and my bad turbo was replaced in the fall under this warranty at a Dodge dealer with a sprinter tech.

Good luck!
Interting, was this a verbal thing, or do you have any paper? You don't happen to live anywhere near Frederick Md., do you? Thanks for info,I will check into it.

fredbail

Interesting, was this a verbal thing, or do you have any paper stuff? You don't happen to live anywhere near Frederick Md., do you? Thanks for info,I will check into it.
I wish I checked my spelling ....interesting...you probably understood.

bstory

I believe I went to the Dodge website and entered my VIN and got back the info that it had the diesel warranty. The dealer told me I had it as soon as I got there too.

I'm in eastern MA so no help there. Try the list of Mercedes dealers who are picking up Sprinter service - it should be out in the next week I would think since they are starting in January and I'm sure someone will post it here as soon as it is available.

fredbail

I believe I went to the Dodge website and entered my VIN and got back the info that it had the diesel warranty. The dealer told me I had it as soon as I got there too.

I'm in eastern MA so no help there. Try the list of Mercedes dealers who are picking up Sprinter service - it should be out in the next week I would think since they are starting in January and I'm sure someone will post it here as soon as it is available.
The dealer I contacted down here reported more or less the same as yours about the warranty... Good. I assume there is a distinct line between dirty, and broke, which is only fair, and which I suppose I will be finding out about. I am going to a dealer in Wrightsville Pa. . I have not had good luck around here. The dealer I bought it from up in Baltimore (Shaefer& Trohminger) was sold over Christmas to my suprise, and unfortunately for those who worker there, so I am told. The van is critical to my job...that's why I want it looked at now, hopefully heading off breakdown, but with the possibility of wasting time and money on over reaction...but what the hey!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'd suggest a visit to Dr. A over near Pittsburgh, PA. at the Global Sprinter Center.
Smoking usually indicates a fuel injection issue, and Dr. A can diagnose that down to the nth degree.

I think his DRB-III reads the injector output down to about 4 decimal places.

Roger
A lot of Group members will soon be able to easily read their injector outputs down to about 4 decimal places.

Fred, Feel free to call me on my Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A

fredbail

Follow up.
1. Went to Susquehanna Dodge in Pa., they seemed fair and honest. They found nothing thru the codes. They said the injectors and such were with the motor warranty (2006)
2. Talked with the good doctor, who was both helpful and gracious. I still have some things to check out, and on, but "All bets are off about smoke till it warms up" is one piece of advise from Dr. A. I would remind all new( first winter) drivers of. , thanks again

Top Bottom