PDA

View Full Version : Milky colored oil in EGR valve/intake Manifold

jackbombay
12-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Today I installed a boost gauge in my sprinter as I just like to keep track of things like that. At any rate I had to take the EGR valve off and when I did get it off there was a teaspoon or so of milky oil in the bottom of the EGR valve and in the opening of the intake mani.

Here is a pic,

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/schmeldenhoffer/EGR.jpg

So what is it? Is it common?

The intake mani was not as clogged as I was expecting from the EGR, maybe 3/16" thick coat.

FWIW, when you flatten it the boost spikes to 16, settles quickly to 14 and then slowly drops to 12 PSI (as RPM rises ) at 3500 RPM.

The decreasing boost as RPM rises is the same as VW TDIs and what I expected (done to prevent the turbo from spinning to fast), but I was expecting the boost to be a little higher than ~14 at ~2,000 RPM.

sailquik
12-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi Jackbombay,
Not sure about the milky fluid. Could be a moisture/oil mix, but why it would be in the intake tube near the EGR valve is puzzling. I do know that the EGR valve often has oil on it as I've seem one apart at Dr. A's.
As far as your boost, measured in PSIG (most of us use Scangauge II's or depend on Dr. A's
DRB-III which measure boost in PSIA (that's G for "gauge" on your gauge and "A" for Absolute on the DRB and ScanGauge II) it seems a little low to me.
My '06 3500 with the OM-647 engine registers 14.7-14.9 (normal atmospheric pressure at near sea level where I am) at idle and around 35 max. at full throttle and 99% LOD.
So, 35 PSIA - 14.8 PSIA = 20.2 PSI max. boost.
If you are only getting 16 PSIG max. yours might be a little low for an OM-647 engne.
Not sure what the max boost on the OM-612 (04 and earlier) version of the I5 engine.
Hope this helps,

Aqua Puttana
12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Jack,
Since there haven't been any replies based upon experience, here's my shot. I don't know specifically about the milky oil in your intake. I do know this. It is not unusual to find entrained oil in the intake system of a diesel Sprinter. During cold weather operation of many engines it is not unusual to find a similar milky oil deposit on the oil cap because the operating temperature doesn't get high enough to drive out the moisture efficiently. That generally goes away when the warmer season returns. What you have noticed may be related to cold weather operation. Were it my vehicle I wouldn't worry too much about it unless someone tells you otherwise based upon specific experience. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

talkinghorse43
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Today I installed a boost gauge in my sprinter as I just like to keep track of things like that. At any rate I had to take the EGR valve off and when I did get it off there was a teaspoon or so of milky oil in the bottom of the EGR valve and in the opening of the intake mani.

So what is it? Is it common?

Normal for my '02 in cold weather. If you trace the charge piping from the air filter, you'll see that the engine breather dumps into the turbo intake. So, anything in the flow from the breather will appear in the flow to the intake manifold. Water is a product of combustion, so you'll see that there in cold weather (condenses in cold weather) due to blowby around the rings. I've always seen oil there, which I believe is due to the fact that the oil separator isn't 100% effective in separating oil from the blowby flow.

jackbombay
12-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, that makes sense, before I had shut the van down it was pretty much fully warmed up, but from around town driving so the IAT probably never really got much above freezing to evaporate the water out of that bit of oil in the intake track.

As far as the boost is concerned, I was at Doktor A's not long ago and he checked all codes and there was nothing boost related so I doubt there is anything wrong, the van does not smoke under load and has plenty of power, its hard to imagine that I'm down ~5 pounds of boost from where I should be. After seeing the spike of 16 and sustained 14 I swapped in another "known good" boost gauge I had laying around and it showed the same numbers, do the 612s officially make less power than the 647s and that accounts for the lower boost numbers?

I am also at high altitude which could be responsible for a slight drop in boost pressure compared to sea level, with VW TDIs (the turbo in my T1N is VERY similar) maxboost is slowly increased as altitude increases to 1,500 Meters and above 1,500 meters the boost is slowly decreased as altitude increases further to prevent turbo over speed. I am at 6,200' which is not high enough though to account for a 5 PSI loss I might (?) have...