Colors on tail wire connector?

BRANCALEONE

Lets see who the first one is to respond. :hmmm:

I'm starting a project installing an extra back up light. I'm thinking to pick up the power source from the tail light connector. I know that I can test the wires with a meter, but I would like to know from you guys which wire is which, indicated by color.
Should I use a relay to install a set of extra /fog lights? :rolleyes:

Has anyone in the forum tried this project? :bow:

Mauro
P.S. Sprinter back up lights suck:yell:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

I'm starting a project installing an extra back up light. I'm thinking to pick up the power source from the tail light connector. I know that I can test the wires with a meter, but I would like to know from you guys which wire is which, indicated by color.

Mauro
I win! Sort of....

I located/identified the rear backup light wire. I tapped into this wire to install an LED strip light under the rear rocker behind the passenger tire. This light is used to light up the curb when backing into/parking in the night and help stop hitting the curb. I was able to this as my light was an LED and it didn't make the ecm crazy. Any other lighting will require direct wiring to dc source and a relay.

Now back to the question in hand... Short of opening and breaking another clip, I can't remember which wire, but it was easy to find just from looking at the which bulb lights up and tracing the light box's wire strips back to the harness.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Mauro
YOU NEED GLASSES TO SEE HOW THE REFRACTION WORKS:bash:
RUN A LED-after-market-unit FROM THE BACK UP WIRE DIRECT, FROM YOUR TAIL LIGHT.
Go to the back of the van and look at how those light's reflect and as to WHY:professor:
Richard

autostaretx

Erratic Member
To actually answer the -question-: on the pre-2007 models the backup light circuit was a White wire with a Red stripe.

(apparently wrong: I strongly suspect(ed) that the 2007+ years are the same.)

*UPDATE* **The third party wiring diagram i have for a 2007 model year shows the backup lamp circuit as a White wire with a Dark Blue marker stripe. **

Which -pin- it is on the 2007+ tail lamp connector depends upon body type:
Chassis/Cab is one pinout, the Van and Wagons are another.
If i'm interpreting the cryptic coding properly, for the Van and Wagons, pin (3) on the tail lamp connector is ground (brown wire).
...and pin 1 is the backup circuit's pin. (those two pins are swapped for the cab/Chassis body).

On the pre-2007 Trailer connector, the backup circuit is/was Black with a Red stripe (pin 3).

have fun
--dick

Last edited:

BRANCALEONE

THANK YOU!
Thank you verry mucho:lol:
To everyone who responded promptly....or sort of.
One thing I didn't catch....:frown: Richard's comment!:idunno:
I guess this is how you guys check your tail lamp downunder.....with a mirror glued to the rear bumper:thinking:
Cheers, Dick and I forgot to mention....thank you:cheers:

Mauro

Top Bottom