PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Heater troubleshooting

indigoE
12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
My 2003 Sprinter has an Auxiliary Heater, which warms the engine and driver compartment without the engine running. It can be programmed to come on at a given time. Sounds like a very small jet engine. Very convenient in winter, but the owners manual states that it must be replaced after ten years for safety reasons. Perhaps that is just a legal disclaimer... why not just inspect the unit at that point?

Lately, it has stopped working: the air fan runs, but no heat. The Sprinter Shop Manual does not have any information (other than fuse location). Does anyone have any repair suggestions or know where to find troubleshooting information for this device?

sikwan
12-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Keep an eye on this thread...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8968

...a couple are working on getting theirs to work. I have the job of getting some signals on a working Aux Heater tomorrow using a scope.

autostaretx
12-20-2009, 02:34 AM
The heater is built by, and appears in the forum frequently as: Espar
It -is- covered (somewhat) in the 2004 Service Manul, but it's hard to find... it's not indexed very well, i keep falling over it by reading into that chapter from whatever's before it. If/when i relocate it, i'll try to provide a reference.

Found it: in the 2003 Service Manual, it's on page 24-3 ... but all they have is a picture, and mention that it may exist.

In the meantime, i'm attaching the Espar manual for the Sprinter.

enjoy
--dick

galvinize
12-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Not sure if this document applies specifically to the Sprinter auxiliary heater, but it provides a comprehensive troubleshooting guide, and gives you an idea how the heater works:

www.espar.com/documents/D3LCc.pdf

abittenbinder
12-21-2009, 03:52 AM
My 2003 Sprinter has an Auxiliary Heater

Lately, it has stopped working: the air fan runs, but no heat. The Sprinter Shop Manual does not have any information (other than fuse location). Does anyone have any repair suggestions or know where to find troubleshooting information for this device?

The heater booster and the aux heater have full diagnostic capabilities via the Sprinters OBD Data Link Connector. The DRBIII and my upcoming DAD system can provide this diagnostic info.

BTW, I will be offering rebuild/exchange service for Sprinter diesel fired heaters in the near future. Doktor A

mean_in_green
12-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Assuming your fuel level is sufficient to permit start up cycle, non-firing is often either the internal fuse or the glow plug. If you have the comfort seven day timer you can use it to read fault codes from the heater.