traction

Hoppingmad

dang its snowing
stepped on the gas, gravel road, 10 mph, stomped on the gas, did not accelerate, rpm 1500. got a flashing triangle with a "!" Hech its not slippery, stomping on brakes did not engaged antilock brakes.

Made it to paved road. Up to 30 now, rear end following gravity and sloped pavement!!!!! THIS VAN SUCKS

Anybody got suggestions?????

Go here and read from post #20. It may help you understand and use the Sprinter systems a bit better.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3301

AP/vic

dang its snowing
stepped on the gas, gravel road, 10 mph, stomped on the gas, did not accelerate, rpm 1500. got a flashing triangle with a "!" Hech its not slippery, stomping on brakes did not engaged antilock brakes.

Made it to paved road. Up to 30 now, rear end following gravity and sloped pavement!!!!! THIS VAN SUCKS

Anybody got suggestions?????

Hoppingmad

ASR? off?
Seems I've cought mention of this in the past
let me think/guess
center console--door locks and cargo light switch, nothing else

ummmmmm
give me a hint fellas!

mendonsy

The Sprinter's traction is terrible if you don't help it a bit. It's really bad on steep slippery driveways.
You need to disable ASR and add some weight behind the rear wheels.

Hoppingmad

below the radio I have heater controls, below them theres a door lock button and a switch that looks like a dome light. Maybe I don't have ASR, but that wouldn't explain the lack of acceleration or lack of spinning tires, and the engine not revving over 1500 with the pedal down.

Will have to go out this morning and drive in the snow and experiment a little

mendonsy

Our ASR OFF button is next to the door locks. Maybe they hid it somewhere else on yours??? I thought they all had one.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
below the radio I have heater controls, below them theres a door lock button and a switch that looks like a dome light. Maybe I don't have ASR, but that wouldn't explain the lack of acceleration or lack of spinning tires, and the engine not revving over 1500 with the pedal down.

Will have to go out this morning and drive in the snow and experiment a little
Turbo Resonator...:hmmm:

8jef

Clueless
If your van is 2002 or 2003, ASR was optional, maybe not part of the DHL package. Problem is probably elsewhere. :frown:

sailquik

Hoppingmad,
There are 3 switches in the top row of switch cutouts directly below the heater control.
The left switch is the door locks!
The middle switch is the ASR!
The right hand switch is the dome light!
You might be confused by how the ASR works.
If a wheel slips (goes faster than the other 3 wheels) the
ASR "APPLIES" the brake on the wheel that slips.
So, if you have the "!" in the triangle it's almost for sure that you
have ASR.
And, if you jump on the throttle hard, in slippery conditions, the ASR
will apply the brake on whichever wheel (or wheels) that slip until it
applies the brakes on all 4 wheels and ultimately STALLS the engine.
So, if you have any problems with traction, in slippery conditions (or stuck in
sand or snow/ice) and you are not moving more than about 10 mph, turn the
ASR off!
You may need to stop and shift to neutral or even shut the engine off to clear
the ASR and get it turned off.
Then you will have a regular rear wheel drive van.
All the suggestions about weight over the axle, snow tires, traction devices (chains
etc) will help, but if you slip a wheel, the ASR will slow it down to the same speed as
the other wheels, by applying the brake.

If the other 3 wheels are not turning, guess what, you don't go anywhere until you
turn off ASR and try again.
Over 10 or 15 mph, the ASR will tend to straighten you out and prevent spin outs.
So, on slippery roads, at speed, the ASR can be your best friend.
For getting going (< 5 mph) in slippery conditions, the ASR can completely defeat your efforts
to get moving.
Hope this helps,

Farm Bus

Wouldn't it be great if owner's manuals were written like that!!! Great summary sailquik, but how would you know? North Carolina??? That's where I was planning on moving to, to get away from this snow!!!

Hoppingmad

yep
thats what I was thinking, all the brakes were on.
But there is still no ASR switch on dash.
Is there anything else that would trigger the light?

Still reading pdf, still only reading about the switch
I have 2 switches, door lock and cargo dome light

But at the moment changeing the thermostat is a higher priority, Brrrrrrrrrrr

mendonsy

Wouldn't it be great if owner's manuals were written like that!!! Great summary sailquik, but how would you know? North Carolina??? That's where I was planning on moving to, to get away from this snow!!!
Haven't you heard?? Global warming will kick in any time now. You should have palm trees growing in Michigan next year!:lol:

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
Is there a possibility that the ASR switch is there but its under the switch panel and still plugged in? Maybe they removed the switch and capped the panel? :idunno:

Top Bottom