weird howling...groaning noise especially in the morning

breffni

it sound worse when i lock the steering as far as it will go either way.... maybe the steering pump? I also first noticed it when i had to brake really hard a few weeks back and it stared howling for a few minutes and then stopped... could it also be the brake servo?

slsbl77

My money is on your power steering fluid being low. It, like the transmission has temperature gradations on the dipstick. Check it before starting the engine, if it doesn't register on the dipstick, add enough to bring it to the lowest mark. That probably won't be much fluid....Start it, drive to a place where your front wheels are on gravel or sand (you are looking for a place the does not give the front tires a good grip) crank the wheel from lock to lock a couple times. The noise should go away. Drive home and recheck the fluid which is now closer to working temp. Adjust fluid as needed.

Bob

breffni

My money is on your power steering fluid being low. It, like the transmission has temperature gradations on the dipstick. Check it before starting the engine, if it doesn't register on the dipstick, add enough to bring it to the lowest mark. That probably won't be much fluid....Start it, drive to a place where your front wheels are on gravel or sand (you are looking for a place the does not give the front tires a good grip) crank the wheel from lock to lock a couple times. The noise should go away. Drive home and recheck the fluid which is now closer to working temp. Adjust fluid as needed.

Bob
hey there... I looked at the service book under power steering fluid and it said "no power steering service required"... I also looked for some way tho check it and could not see any.

Any ideas?

slsbl77

Yes, look at the drivers side front of the engine. There you will find the reservoir for peer steering fluid. Open the black plastic cap/dipstick. Apply my first post.
Bob

shanemac

Mine can really howl in the cold mornings sure sounds like its from the power steering pump, after its running for a min the noise slowly goes away.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
hey there... I looked at the service book under power steering fluid and it said "no power steering service required"...
I noticed that and mentally filed that under "promoting planned obsolescence."

As with all my other vehicles, I plan to annually renew that fluid whether MB wants me to, or not, as soon as I figure out how to I'm going to do w/o making a complete mess.

-Jon

breffni

Yes, look at the drivers side front of the engine. There you will find the reservoir for peer steering fluid. Open the black plastic cap/dipstick. Apply my first post.
Bob
hey there... i had already found it and added some atf4 like it said in the book and it solved the problem.... Thanks.... now got to find the leak !

k-man

Mine did the same thing last summer. Yup--the power steering was low, and the "rack" was the source of the leak. Replaced under warranty.

Sunnyandrich

On The Move

Bob
I did a search to add to this thread.

I have a 2008 Chassis Roadtrek 2009 build RS A 2500 with 41,200 miles. I was getting identical symptoms as the OP.

At temps below 50F, I got a loud groaning, howling and/or vibration for the first few miles. It always went away after about 5 minutes.

The noise never occurred in the afternoon, or after warm up.

I noticed the other day, that I kind of heard the same noise when the steering was on full lock. This prompted me to check the PS reservoir WHICH WAS EMPTY. :(

Anyways, I got a bottle of MBZ Q 146 0001 for $12 at the local dealer and put in about 200 ml. With temperatures at 46F this morning in Tampa, I started the coach and did not hear any noise whatsoever from the front.

Hopefully this was the issue.

Appreciate finding this thread, just hoping it will help out someone else with the same issue on an older Sprinter.

Top Bottom