PDA

View Full Version : Door chime and it aint Christmas Bells!

teamtexas
12-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Ok I did a bit of searching and I'm even more confused now than when I started. I have a 2003 and both front doors cause a door chime to sound when they are open. No lights on and it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, it still chimes. Is there anyway to shut this off? Does anyone elses do this? :shifty:

Dan

sikwan
12-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Does it chime, beep, or buzz?

I know it beeps

- when the engine is off, door is open, key is in the ignition.
- when the engine is off, door is open, key is out, headlight is on.

I forget if it beeps when the engine is running. :thinking: I'll take a chance and say that it doesn't. :hmmm:

teamtexas
12-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Ok you got me! It's a beep.:rolleyes:

Dan

Lojack72
12-05-2009, 05:04 AM
I picked up an '02 a few months ago and was immediately annoyed by the same thing.

Since mine has a Midway Executive Limo conversion on it, figured it was something aftermarket and started pulling the dash off to track down the noise and make it stop.

Solution- it comes from a component on the back of the speedo board. Cover it with a piece of tape (always worked with the kid toys), and I can barely hear it now. 20 minute repair, zero cost.

maxextz
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
if you leave the fog lights switch in the on position it will beep even without the lights being on but once the door is open.

max..........:popcorn:

teamtexas
12-05-2009, 10:46 PM
No fog lights on mine Max.

Dan

maxextz
12-06-2009, 01:08 AM
No fog lights on mine Max.

Dan

dont you have a fog light on the rear?:thinking: you should have.
max.............:smilewink:

teamtexas
12-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Fog lights in the rear :wtf: We don't travel arse first here very often Max!:lol:

Here's a pic.

Dan

Altered Sprinter
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Max will respond Now

Altered Sprinter
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Come on Max your on slow mail

maxextz
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
in your pic the rear lights cluster see the bottom red lense in europe our foglight is on the right hand side wheres yours will be on the left its compulsory to have fog lights and reflectors,there should"must" be a switch on your dash either side of your steering wheel or the center panel where your gear selector is.

max...........:popcorn:
ps if you remove the rear light on the left side you will see an extra socket for a 20watt fog light bulb.

Altered Sprinter
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
:popcorn:

autostaretx
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
We're seeing the usual "two countries separated by a common language" issue...
In the US, "fog lights" refer to extra forward-facing headlamp units, usually mounted very low and frequently with amber lenses.
On my T1N, those would be turned on with a switch on the dash with a "headlamp with louvered screen" symbol. (if i had one).

In Europe, Max's "fog lights" are (US term) "marker lights"... small amber "parking lights" (as bright as a taillamp) which are left on all night on the road-side of a parked vehicle.
In my US T1N, the headlamp switch has the on/off control for that (with a "P" symbol).. rotate the headlamp switch to the "P", then lift or lower the switch stalk to choose which side actually turns on.

Such side-lights are not a "requirement" in the US (at least for passenger vehicles).

--dick (such side-lights were required/standard equipment on English cars in the 1960's)

mendonsy
12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
:popcorn: ........ :lol: ........ :popcorn: ........ :idunno: ........ :popcorn: ........ :professor:

maxextz
12-06-2009, 07:20 PM
:popcorn: ........ :lol: ........ :popcorn: ........ :idunno: ........ :popcorn: ........ :professor:

omg:shhh::bash::popcorn::D:....................... ............:lol:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9523&d=1220342039
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9518&d=1220341538

check this here...http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3167&highlight=fog+lights

mendonsy
12-06-2009, 09:19 PM
:popcorn: ........ :lol: ........ :popcorn: ........ :idunno: ........ :popcorn: ........ :professor: ........ :popcorn: ........ :smirk:

teamtexas
12-07-2009, 12:52 AM
OHHH, well that helps. Thanks for the explanation! :smilewink:

Dan

teamtexas
12-08-2009, 01:33 AM
I've been working on installing homemade seat swivels and this stupid door bell is driving me crazy....er :doh:

Dan

Lojack72
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Question: do you have ASSYT? Mine was over 10K when I got it, although I changed all the fluids immediately I didn't reset the ASSYT until a couple of weeks ago- and have noticed the only time it beeps now is when I leave the headlights on.
Still glad I taped it off, as it's noticeable but not deafening now. Just a suggestion, new to Sprinters myself and my wrenching experience is primarily old Harleys with little if any electronics.

maxextz
12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
welcome Lojack72 to the forum:thumbup: thats a snazzy looking sprinter you have there if you have any pics we would love to see them:hmmm: we love pics on here.
max...........:popcorn:

Lojack72
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks- absolutely, but I'll put them on an intro thread so I don't hijack this one.

It's a bit of a project after 5 years of commercial use then the last owner not having a clue (no, you cannot insulate wires with blue painters tape) but coming along nicely...

teamtexas
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Lojack, yes mine has the assyt but I reset it a little while back. No change in the bell.

Dan

miki
11-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Hey Dan, Did you ever figure out how to turn that chime off? :popcorn:
I hate that chime!:yell: I'm always trying to listen to the radio with the doors open and I wish I could turn it off.
I noticed that sometimes after the key was in the ignition for a long period of time the chime wouldn't go off, but I can't figure out
how I did it. :thinking:
miki

teamtexas
11-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Nope :thumbdown: I still have that chime, bugs me evertime I open either front door. Only time it stops is when you put a key in and turn it on. :wtf:

Dan

sailquik
11-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Hi Dan,
No help on how to turn it off, but a piece of tape, over the switch up on the front pillar (in front of the door) will shut it off (as well as the interior
light.... but that has an off switch) while you are working on things.
It's a little black plunger switch that's normally open when depressed by the door and closes (to light the light and play the "chime") when you open
the door.
Roger

Nope :thumbdown: I still have that chime, bugs me evertime I open either front door. Only time it stops is when you put a key in and turn it on. :wtf:

Dan

jessemilton
11-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Hay texas,
My van was bothering me as well, does yours ring whenever you open your drivers door? I found that the cylinder is stuck in a little, and if you tap around the cylinder it will reset and turn off. This is only if the key isn't in.

teamtexas
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks jesse I'll have to look at that cylinder.

Dan

yellowmike
11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Not sure if were thinking about the same thing here but on my 2003 if I pull the key out and then immediately put it back in my beeper quits...

yellowmike
11-06-2010, 09:09 PM
this got me curious so I went out and tried my key again and I can get it to stop beeping by pulling the key out and reinserting it with the doors open but I can't get it to stop if I have the doors open and the ignition on accessory.:idunno:Oh well At least we can open the doors and not have the damned thing beepin at us all day.

miki
11-06-2010, 09:55 PM
yeah, I might go into the 'nest' under the steering console and see what I can find. It sure is annoying!

autostaretx
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I believe the noisemaker is soldered directly onto the instrument panel's main circuit card. (T1N models)

--dick

Gulf SV
11-06-2010, 11:20 PM
From the T1n service manual:

Key-In-Ignition Warning - The EMIC chime
tone generator will generate repetitive chime tones at a
fast rate when the key is in the ignition lock cylinder,
the ignition switch is in any position except On, and
either front door is opened. The EMIC uses internal
programming and hard wired inputs from the key-in
ignition switch, the ignition switch, and both front door
jamb switches to determine the current status of these
switches. The chime will continue to sound until the key
is removed from the ignition lock cylinder, until the
ignition switch is turned to the On position, or until
both front doors are closed, whichever occurs first.

Where are our electronics experts?

bc339
11-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey Dan, Did you ever figure out how to turn that chime off? :popcorn:
I hate that chime!:yell: I'm always trying to listen to the radio with the doors open and I wish I could turn it off.
I noticed that sometimes after the key was in the ignition for a long period of time the chime wouldn't go off, but I can't figure out
how I did it. :thinking:
miki

miki, do you have the stock Sound 10 or 30 radio or have you replaced it? You can listen to the Sound 10 or 30 without the key on. After removing the key, just turn on the radio - it has a one hour timer.
Bruce

ECU
11-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Pull the key out. Next time you put it in, it won't buzz unless you shut the door and open it again.
Hit the power button on the radio and it turns on without the key.
The buzzer works with the overhead light. disconnect the door button and you kill the buzzer.

miki
11-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, unfortunately I have already replaced the radio. I guess I'll have to look into disconnecting the door button. maybe I can wire a switch to it :thinking:

jbensaab
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Under the steering column cover is a connector with small blue and red wires, if you disconnect it the chime will go away.

white whale
07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Under the steering column cover is a connector with small blue and red wires, if you disconnect it the chime will go away.

hate the chime. you have a picture to show these wires?

estero sprinter
06-04-2015, 02:48 AM
I have a 2003 2500 freightliner badged Sprinter. I just had the beeping experience. Drove me crazy but I tapped the ignition while key was removed a few times like the post above and it went off. It is something sticking in the ignition box. I can hear an audible click when the sound goes off.

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
06-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I have the lower half of the cover off the fuse box steering column and ignition key area and I am trying to find those blue and red wires so I can disable that door beeper once and for all. I don't see them. There is a red plastic connector with a couple of wires running into it and out of it, top and bottom, that looks like it would come apart in two halves. Any chance that is what I am looking for on my 06 2500 shc? It is maybe an inch and a half long and an inch wide and a half inch thick in a rectangular shape with rounded edges.

I already know if I wait a minute after stopping and turn the key onto the first position, I can avoid the wretched door beeper but that is not good enough. I want it gone once and for all.

The two small wires that go into this red connector are hard to tell what color they are. There is only one of these red connectors that I can see up in there. If that is the one, I can pull that connector apart in the middle.

Thanks to all here.

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
06-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Well nuts. The wires going into that small plastic red connector that comes apart in half are green and white. Bummer. That would have been too easy, I guess. One of these days, just not today.

Often when I get home and want to finish listening to music and turn the motor off, that wretched beeper won't allow me to open the door without going off or going through the known process of waiting a minute or two before turning the key back on. I don't want it. I don't need to be reminded my door is open. Thanks to all here.