Sirius/XM antenna locations

boatmangc

Where, how did you mount your antenna? I ran mine through tiny holes I drilled in the stock antenna. No holes in my new van... looks like it belongs there. :thumbup:

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
Where, how did you mount your antenna? I ran mine through tiny holes I drilled in the stock antenna. No holes in my new van... looks like it belongs there. :thumbup:
Pics!!! My Sirius antenna goes out of the slider and onto the roof with the wire just flappin' in the breeze. I originally had it just above the windshield with the wire tucked neatly in the windshield gasket. Reception was terrible.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
...My Sirius antenna goes out of the slider and onto the roof with the wire just flappin' in the breeze....
Mike if you care, you may eventually get a wear mark on the paint from the wire chaffing. I've seen it, it's ugly:cry:

Although I had my reservations, in my van I did make a hole in the roof. I used a 7/8 conduit punch. Nice clean hole that accepts a rubber grommet which I put the wire through. I also used 100% silicone to seal around it. It's been a couple of years, no leaks or rust.

I have an antenna in my car that is sort of portable. I put it on the dash and think that any difference between there and the roof is imagined.

mgameros

SprinterFest 2007
Here is where I'm installing mine. I'm going to first try without the bracket. If I get a weak signal then I will make some custom brackets to give me a better angle. Hope this helps.

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
What is the other one for? The one that is not temporarily mounted, or is it? :laughing: The one closer to the passenger side. GPS? Good idea though. :thumbup: My GPS antenna is suction cupped to the passenger side windshield.

Looks like one side of the van is a new development of homes while the other side has an old Scrambler and maybe a Scout parked in the yard in a small little farm town. :laughing: The reflection off the windshield shows otherwise.

mgameros

SprinterFest 2007
Good eye seek :thumbup: You should be on CSI :laughing: These antenna's are just a mock up of what I'm currently doing. One is GPS and the other is Sirius. No not a farm, just new track homes. Your right about my Scrambler (1981) but not the orange one, thats a 74 Ford Bronco.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Hey mgameros, what's the MPH rating on the tape:laughing: . Got to use "Duck" brand for anything over 60 :bounce: .

I like the little bracket idea, especially if you can get it to tuck under the hood line.

74 Bronco, Jeep Scrambler?? The vehicles you guys in nice climates get to play with:cheers: . Have not seen either one of those around here in many years. Bet your van gets double plus what either one of them gets in the MPG dept. !

mgameros

SprinterFest 2007
Hey mgameros, what's the MPH rating on the tape:laughing: . Got to use "Duck" brand for anything over 60 :bounce: .

I like the little bracket idea, especially if you can get it to tuck under the hood line.

74 Bronco, Jeep Scrambler?? The vehicles you guys in nice climates get to play with:cheers: . Have not seen either one of those around here in many years. Bet your van gets double plus what either one of them gets in the MPG dept. !

I knew I shouldn't have used the tape :shifty: Well I read today in the manual that the antennas should be level so I'm having my uncle make the brackets since he has a full machine shop. I'd like to try double sided tape to mount it before using screws.

My toys, My toys. Your right on the MPG but they both can go places my sprinter can't (4X4). They are nice to drive in the summer with the tops down also. :tongue:

mgameros

boatmangc

Yup, pulled the antenna, took it apart and drilled a hole through the base (inside of original gasket) and through the back housing (I drilled at an uphill angle so water couldn't run down into it) then took the Sirius antenna apart and unsoldered the connections, snaked the whole mess through and resoldered the connections, sealed it all up with exterior grade silicone. then put down 6 coats of Klasse sealant (wax) and let the Sirius antenna magnet down. Perfect reception and no cord out the door. It also gave me the opportunity to run the power cord up the windshield channel and hide all the wiring and mount my reciever up by the rear view mirror with no major exposed wiring.

Top Bottom