rear heater in passenger van

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
bonjour sprinter blokes.can anyone advise me on rear heater unit just behind drivers seat.i doesnt work.i presume small switch on dash with picture of fan fast/slow blades is the controler.also the exterior temperature gauge reads about 10 degrees high.can i re-calibrate it.many thanks.ttfn

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Rear Heater:
1. Make sure you have at least a 1/4 tank of fuel (manual recommends more than 1/8 tank).
2. Engine needs to be running.

Note: I didn't think there was a fan control. I thought it was a squiggly switch on the console. :thinking:

If it still doesn't work, then you need to check the dosing pump to the rear heater. It needs to be primed with fuel otherwise fuel won't get to the heater. There are clear lines of fuel from the dosing pump. You can check to see if there is any otherwise you will have to make a trip to the dealership to prime it. Maybe you can try priming it yourself.

Lastly, repeated attempts to run the heater where there is a malfunction will lock it and can only be unlocked at the dealer.

Ambient Temperature:
Only thing you can do is to check the connection and replace the Thermistor (NTF) in the front bumper.

8jef

Clueless
Salut Lofty,

La première chose serait de savoir si tu as du chauffage derrière. Je ne sais pas pour les Sprinters en Europe, mais ici certains modèles n'ont le chauffage que devant. J'ai un minibus Sprinter comme ça (horrible pour le Canada), où j'ai l'air climatisé derrière, mais pas le chauffage. Mon autre Sprinter à le chauffage derrière, mais ça vient d'une sorte de trappe sur le plancher derrière le conducteur, le long du mur.

J'espère que ça t'aidera.

Jef

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
hi sikwan ive just looked at rear heater its behind the drivers seat under the second row seat.the pipework is hot so water is flowing.there must be a circulating fan.theres a switch on dash for this.i wondered if anyone had a problem with this before.it looks like ill have to drain coolant system to take of the plastic casing to get to the fan.
cheers anyway.

bc339

I also own a passenger version with the rear heat. The plastic cover is just a duct to direct the hot air. The heat exchanger or coil is under the floor behind the drivers seat. The switch on the dash is a two position switch for the rear heater - high and low speeds. It is either on or off - no temperature control. this is plumbed into the coolant system and not tied into the auxillary Espar heater. If it's not working, check the obvious first. Fuse, switch, power to switch, then the fan.
Bruce

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
thanks bc339. i brought my bus in germany and just got a mate to translate thr fuse box.went to test and found all fuses ok but then found more under the drivers seat.guess ill have to give friend another ring. cheers

jogger

rear heater only circulates the heated coolant when the temperature selector is in the fully hot position. there is a detent you can feel with the switch all the way to the hot, this then electrically activates a solenoid for a water valve to circulate to the rear.

Top Bottom