fuel line pliers #9539

mgace2500

i realize that i can replace the fuel filter hose clamps with regular hose clamps.i saw that there was a set of pliers made for the factory ones on the fuel lines.the tool part #9539.does anyone know who sells them and how much they cost?:rad:

chaozz

i realize that i can replace the fuel filter hose clamps with regular hose clamps.i saw that there was a set of pliers made for the factory ones on the fuel lines.the tool part #9539.does anyone know who sells them and how much they cost?:rad:
i have not even looked at the clamps on there.
but are they the kind that are crimped on?
those you should be able to just use a normal clamp that
you can tighten.
but i would wait till someone that has done it to post here.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
In the discussion about fuel filters there is information about the regular hose clamps. The factory-installed clamps are reusable but without the appropriate tool, we have to destroy them to get them off. The Mercedes clamps are much neater looking than the hose clamps with their tag ends.

mgace2500

In the discussion about fuel filters there is information about the regular hose clamps. The factory-installed clamps are reusable but without the appropriate tool, we have to destroy them to get them off. The Mercedes clamps are much neater looking than the hose clamps with their tag ends.
pried off factory clamps and put regular small hose clamps in the place of the factory ones.10,000 miles later no problems.vary easy to do!took only about 20minutes.

stp57

The instructions in the service manual are very adamant about the original clamps. Can this become a warranty issue?
Steve

CAUTION: DO NOT bend, twist or cut the fuel hose
clamps. The fuel hose clamps through out the fuel
system are reusable when using special tool #9539.
Orginal clamps must be used when servicing the
fuel system.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The instructions in the service manual are very adamant about the original clamps. Can this become a warranty issue?
Steve

If you damage the hose- it will obviously be a warranty issue. If you're careful, don't damage the hose, use generic clamps and end up with a leak-free connection- you will be doing what most dealers are doing. Doktor A

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
When replacing the hose clamps, don't use the common type with slots in the bands because the slots can damage the hose. Instead, use solid band clamps, of this or a similar style:

Attachments

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have read that the factory clamps, CLIC-R and reusable. There is a tool for this type of reusable fuel clamp.

Sikwan documented his changing of his own fuel filter. I contributed some info about the tool here.

-Jon

contractor

When I went to Dodge for service, they removed these clamps and installed hose clamps. I don't see any issues using hose clamps. The original clamps appear to be very similar to clamps for PEX plumbing fittings and are sold by Watts in the plumbing supply store.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
When I went to Dodge for service, they removed these clamps and installed hose clamps. I don't see any issues using hose clamps.
The only information I've read regarding worm-gear clamps and high-pressure lines inidcates that Mercedes-Benz does not recommend them.

The MB reasoning appears to have more to do with potential operator-error -- techs over-tightening or under-tightening the clamps -- rather than the mechanical properties of worm-gear clamps.

If it doesn't leak immediately, or after driving for a few blocks, I'd tend to think worm-gear clamps are ok since their installation was w/in specs.

-Jon

ccutshaw

BigBlue
Last edited:

contractor

I found them they are called Miller Fuel Line Pliers. :clapping:
https://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9615

Looks like the next tool for my box.
Calvin
A couple of comments. First, the clamp that was on my hose did not look removeable and appeared to be a clamp used on PEX fittings. The PEX clamps originated from the automotive industry so I'm not confident this clamp matches what is described in the Service Manual.
Second, why invest $100 on a tool when a new reusable hose clamp can be installed at $1 each:idunno:.

contractor

Your clamps didn't look like the ones in this video?

-Jon
Thanks Jon.
Well I just went under the hood to look for these clamps ... all I could find where tradional hose clamps throughout the engine area. Then I found the remnant of the clamp that the dealer removed which had slid down the fuel line under the cab (out of reach) and it does appear to look like the one in the video. I stand corrected and apologize for the misinformation. Now you've got to wonder why a dealer, who could easlily justify buying this tool, did not reinstall this hardware but instead replaced them with hose clamps? My guess is either they don't like the thought of reusing hardware (especially a fuel line) or there simply is not enough room to get this tool into that tight area. Regardless, I wouldn't buy it.

ccutshaw

BigBlue
Mr. Contractor that's why I haven't been in a dealers service bay in over 20 years. I found some clamps that should work as good as MB clamps. They are an one time use I found them at McMaster/Carr page 254 the only thing to do know is size the hose.
www.mcmaster.com

I didn't mean to start anything with my post just answer the question about the pliers. Calvin

Attachments

contractor

Mr. Contractor that's why I haven't been in a dealers service bay in over 20 years. I found some clamps that should work as good as MB clamps. They are an one time use I found them at McMaster/Carr page 254 the only thing to do know is size the hose.
www.mcmaster.com

I didn't mean to start anything with my post just answer the question about the pliers. Calvin
Calvin
I just went to my Watts plumbing supply catalog and this is known as the "CinchClamp" and originated in the automotive area but is now also used for PEX fittings... they cost around 40 cents each. I personally would just use a hose clamp since it is much easier to operate and remove, however, the CinchClamp would work fine.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thanks Jon.

...I found the remnant of the clamp that the dealer removed which had slid down the fuel line under the cab (out of reach) and it does appear to look like the one in the video. I stand corrected and apologize for the misinformation. Now you've got to wonder why a dealer, who could easlily justify buying this tool, did not reinstall this hardware but instead replaced them with hose clamps?

My guess is either they don't like the thought of reusing hardware (especially a fuel line) or there simply is not enough room to get this tool into that tight area. Regardless, I wouldn't buy it.
I think you're probably right about American dealerships not wanting to re-use clamps.

The few MB techs I've encountered are adamant that the OM642's manufacturer's guidance is to reuse the CLIC-R clamps.

I think it's odd that MB-USA, LLC doesn't encourage replacement since it's yet another way to get some profit out of some parts, but the service DVD for the R320 encourages re-use on vehicles equipped with the v6, 3.0L diesel, if memory serves.

I've observed that few mechanics in America want to reuse any hose clamp on any system.... coolant or fuel line.... and it seems everyone prefers the classic worm-gear clamps. I suspect this clamp style is fine if the user doesn't over- or under-tighten them for the fuel filter application.

Using standard hose clamps on fuel lines - I think - is pretty much just not "the MB way" with our modern, high-pressure, common-rail fuel systems. To be fair, perhaps using CLIC-R clamp - which can't be over- or under- tightened - results in fewer errors and fewer return-trips (via a tow truck) to the service bay.

I can't speak to how easy the tool is to use on a Sprinter. I haven't had to change a fuel filter yet.

-Jon

Top Bottom