Plumbing into hot side of engine coolant?

mackconsult

I need to plumb into the hot side of my engine coolant. The following pictures show what I think to be the engine coolant lines for the cockpit heater. Is hose 1 the one I want to plumb into if I want to extract heat from the engine coolant at all times?

What about a return. Do I need to plumb into hose 2 for the return path?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I will take the truck for a spin and get it hot and then just feel. Just wanted others opinions.

Attachments

Last edited:

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
Ok, so I have no idea where you need to plumb into. :wtf: But I was curious/nosey and wanted to know if your adding a water heater with a heat exchanger?

Dan

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The optional rear cargo area heater in the T1N models did just that... added an extra circuit on the hot water side, ran it to another "radiator" under the rear floor, where there was an electric fan to suck cargo area air in, across the radiator, and back into the cargo area.

Given that, you should be able to buy the oddball "Tees" and hoses that MB uses for that option.
The "REST" button on the heater control panel turns on the circulating pump without requiring that the engine be running, too.

Picking up your year's parts catalog from http://www.berrysprinter.com/sprinterparts.php would be helpful.

have fun
--dick

That is 3 aux heaters that were available on the T1N models, no wonder we get confused.
1. the dsl fired heater at the front left fender
2. the hot water heater as shown above
3. the dsl fired heater for the cargo area. My 2003 did not have that one, but we installed it ourselves.

I had a hot water exchange heater installed in my 2005. The exchange unit came from Mill City Supply, http://www.rustrepair.com/stepvan_parts/onlinecat.htm?r=wi&p=wi-heater and was installed by Peterson Dodge in Nampa, ID. It works, but around town or below 35°the front fender heater needs to be on. If the front fender heater is not on, there is not enough heat to warm the cargo area. That Sprinter is in for tires and front end alignment. I expect it will be done on Saturday. If you like, I can compare the heater hose arrangement with the posted picture. Send me an e-mail at fireman@eoni.com.

kitesurfer

Nope. Installing a frybid V3 WVO kit that needs to extract heated coolant.
I have installed a twin tank wvo kit into my mk1 T1N.
The best place to do this is the input and the output from your cab heater matrix. This is the least critical part of your engines collant system and all you lose is a little efficency in your heater rather than effect the engines coolant temperture.
I do not have any photos of where i have connected in but i can tell you. The pipes to my heater go through the engine bulkhead just slightly to the left of middle high up and at the back of the engine bay. Thers is plenty of space here to tee into them. If i have time over the weekend i will take some photos for you. Also it is easy to clamp off the pipes here when making the cuts so you shouldn't get too much air in your sytem. One of the pipes should have an arrow located on it indicating flow and return.

KS

ao123

Kitesurfer:

It looks like I have the identical issue and am plumbing my SVO conversion now. I have the same question regarding supply and return for coolant to filter, tank and heat exchanger. I would give left n-t to see a photo of how and where you teed into your lines. The space you mention is where I believe I should tap into but unsure of supply end versus return side of loop.

Any photos you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks AO

kitesurfer

Kitesurfer:

It looks like I have the identical issue and am plumbing my SVO conversion now. I have the same question regarding supply and return for coolant to filter, tank and heat exchanger. I would give left n-t to see a photo of how and where you teed into your lines. The space you mention is where I believe I should tap into but unsure of supply end versus return side of loop.

Any photos you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks AO
I'll see if i can sneak out of work in a bit to take a photo for you guys.

KS

kitesurfer

Right guys, sneaking done. :thumbup:

The 2 heater matrix pipes are located on the right hand side of the wiper motor, which one my van is on the left hand side of the engine bay.
They come up from the right hand side of the engine and across the top of the engine behind the big heater box to the left side of the engine bay and then they go through the bulkhead and into the heater matrix underneath the dash board.
The photos are not the best as my engine bay is somewhat cluttered with various extra bits and pieces but you can kind of see the pipes and their location.
On my van the flow pipe is the one on the right side and the return is the one on the left of the photo. A good way to tell which is which is to when your engine is cold start it up and keep feeling both pipes for temperature, the one that warms up first is the flow. Simple.

I hope this helps?

KS

Attachments

Last edited:

mackconsult

Thanks man. I will search under my hood and see what I can find. The three of us should trade contact information don't you think?? There aren't many sprinter owners that are doing conversions to veggie, so us select few should stay in contact.

kitesurfer

Thanks man. I will search under my hood and see what I can find. The three of us should trade contact information don't you think?? There aren't many sprinter owners that are doing conversions to veggie, so us select few should stay in contact.
There's a another vey useful veggie oil forum i frequent over here in the uk you might want to browse. Theres a couple more sprinter conversions on there.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

KS

ao123

KS and Mackconsult:

Photos and information highly appreciated. I too will be under the hood in a bit to locate and determine flow. Should be able to get photos of my scene up next week once I figure out a few little details.

Thanks again,

AO
aoram@bresnan.net

kitesurfer

Thats a nice and tidy shed set-up you've got there.
Flow and return are easy to determine.
Start the engine from cold and then continually check both hoses for signs of heat as the engine warms up. The one that heats up first is the flow in and the other is the return. Assuming of course that those are the pipes to the heater matrix?

KS

mackconsult

Well I hope I got it right. If I didn't I will see two side effects, one my veggie oil will never come to temperature or two I loose the cabin heat. I will react accordingly. I am sure I have the hot side plumbed okay, its the return I am concerned with because you plumbed before the valve and I plumbed after it right were it runs into the motor. There was flow there after starting the motor.

Top Bottom