Help, I can't find tires for my 2002 Sprinter

CelticRen

Celtic
I have a 2002 Sprinter 2500 SHC 140 in wheel base van with 225/70 R15C load range D tires. I need new tires, and I can only get Continental Venco summer only tires. I live in North Jersey, and I need an all season tire. I prefer Michelin tires, but right now I will settle for any reasonable solution. I heard that there was a change mid year 2002 from 15" to 16" rims. My rims are have a 5 x 130mm bolt pattern. What 16" rims would work? Sixteen inch rims would probably open up some options for LT matrix tires. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ches

We just replaced our Goodyear Cargo Vector at about 45,000 mi. with the Vancos on our '06 118" with 15" rims. The only tire that would meet the weight class requirements as you suggest. We were not happy with the choice but so far the new tires ride better and no problems with the tread. In NM all season would be preferable and next time we will look into getting 16" rims but the timing was not good for us this go round. Good luck

CelticRen

Celtic
Consider it done.

I have an '02 without the spacers or lifters, or whatever those things are called. I had the Goodyear Cargo G26 tires on my 15" rims. In New Jersey, it is not acceptable to be without all season tires. I have a four wheel drive pick up for the snow, but you always get caught it in the snow here. So, anyways, I measured the clearance to allow for the larger tire size. I had the van loaded, and I moved the front wheels to left, right, center, and everywhere in between. There was plenty of room, so I purchased a set of 16" 5 lug rims, and LT 225/75-R16 tires.

They work fantastic. I have no clearance or rubbing issues and, no braking braking or accelerating issues. I can now drive up my driveway with light snow without the traction control kicking in. Before, it would engage the whole way. I had traction problems with the old tires in slightly wet conditions above freezing. Those problems are now all solved. I wish I fixed it years ago.

I hope this helps someone

So the US 2002 Sprinters are all ready to switch to 16" wheels with no modifications? I have a 140" 2002 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 with 15" wheels. 225/70R15's.

Also, do the 225/75R16's make speedometer or odometer inaccurate? How about ABS or traction control problems? I'm guessing there's a lot more selection of 225/75R16 tires? I've also found it hard to find a heavy duty 225/70R15 tire although a couple are available and I may even go with a couple of lighter duty tires for now.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
So the US 2002 Sprinters are all ready to switch to 16" wheels with no modifications? I have a 140" 2002 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 with 15" wheels. 225/70R15's.

Also, do the 225/75R16's make speedometer or odometer inaccurate? How about ABS or traction control problems? I'm guessing there's a lot more selection of 225/75R16 tires? I've also found it hard to find a heavy duty 225/70R15 tire although a couple are available and I may even go with a couple of lighter duty tires for now.
Whether fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, this issue has been raised numerous times since 2002 on both this forum and YahooSprinterVan. So there is a wealth of information from excellent sources, such as Doktor A, depending on this issue. The 2002 2500 came in two flavors - generally cargos with 15" and passengers with 16". As Doktor A points out somewhere, there are slight wheel base and height differences. SIKwan I believe documents an issue related to struts. Many many many have commented on speedometer correction but odometer out of true. Some point out to a rear fender difference. But no one seems to have had problems in my recollection. Search is a marvelous tool for the computer unsavy.

Top Bottom