Please Help

dinoakaliam

Just wondering if any of you have any idea what's up with my sprinter 55 plate (2005 313 cdi xlwb)I've just come to get in it to do a job and there is nothing there at all, no lights on dash no power at all i was in it yesterday and monday no problems with it, parked it on my drive as normal last night everything ok with it and now nothing at all, i've rung the RAC but i havn't got home start and my service guy is in Tenarife till tomorrow. the only thing i have noticed that i can think was Monday night i got back home went to take the empty pallets out of the back and my light's in the back didn't come on and wouldn't come on when i tried to turn them on. Any ideas (i've looked at the battery it looks fine and it's only 2'000 since it was serviced) it's as though the battery has been tacken off.
:cry::cry::cry:Can you help me please:cry::cry::cry:

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
I have total killed my battery from leaving a light on. It willl need a long charge. I couldn't even jump it from another car unless I hooked it up to a running car for at least 5 minutes. I have done this a couple of times, mine is a 2004 and haven't none any longterm damage to the battery.

TimJuhl

Dinoakaliam,
You did not say where you are at so I don't know if my suggestions will help, but I'll give it a try.

I certainly sounds like an electrical problem. I have a few questions -
• When you noticed the lights wouldn't come on, did you try to start the van again? If you did not, then I suspect the battery was already almost fully drained. That means it was not taking a charge while you drove. If the battery is drained the following must be considered:
a.) The battery is defective and will not hold a charge. If you have another vehicle you might remove it and take it to a mechanic or auto parts store to have it checked. Even a new battery can fail. If the battery is OK then the problem might be with the Alternator or the wiring.
b.) To find out if the alternator is defective - you would need to charge the battery so you can start the van then have a mechanic check to see if the alternator is charging the battery. If the alternator is charging OK and the battery is OK then the problem is most likely with the wiring.
c.) Corrosion on the battery terminals can interfere with charging the battery so make sure they are clean. It is also possible that the wiring is shorted somewhere and draining current from the battery, although usually when that happens it blows a fuse. Check the wiring bundles in the engine compartment in particular. If you have a Volt-Ohm meter, once you have charged the battery you can connect it between the (+) terminal of the battery and the battery connector and look to see if there is any current flowing when the key is turned off. If there is more than a trickle, then you either have a short or something that does not shut off when you turn off the key. While it is very unlikely, while you have the (+) battery connector disconnected you might want to check continuity across the big fuses in the power distribution center (part of the + connector.) Information on troubleshooting the electrical system and checking fuses can be found in the Service Manual which is downloadable here.. http://www.filefront.com/14781099/05-service-manual.pdf/

Tim

dinoakaliam

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Well I'm back on the road again at the cost of a couple of pints, the problem was the light sensor on my back doors had been damaged and the live wire was stuck on the body work how mad something like that can put a van of the road any way thanks to all who posted with there ideas of what it could be:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

Top Bottom