motor consuming oil

Richd67

Will bad injectors in a 2004 sprinter cause the motor to consume oil??? MY check engine light came on and the scanner at auto zone said misfire at #1 cylinder. no limp home mode, no loss of power, just a somewhat rough idle every now and then. The fuel mileage is down and oil consumption is at 1 quart every 4000 miles. It isn't smoking or leaking. The light has come on and off over the past few weeks. Any ideas on what could cause this problem??
Thanks,
Rich

SteinarN

I dont think your oil consumption is out of the ordinary dependent on how your driving style is. I drive carefully and my oil consumption is like 1 liter every 6 to 8 thousand miles.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Check the wiring from the ECU to the injector. A lot of the wiring bundles are not routed (protected) correctly in T1N's.

Mine consumes oil too. I'm about a quart low at the 9000 mile mark after an oil change.

Wileycoyote

We had the exact sounding problem and ended up having to replace that engine....
But on a not so cruel note, a diry egr valve can also cause the smoking engine syndrome too i believe.

Richd67

Sprinter dealer told me today I need a new engine. He rattled off all the compression checks and also said there was a tremendous amount of blow by thus causing the need for a new motor. I will post the compression numbers if I can get them when I go back in a couple weeks. I am considering parking the Sprinter and ordering an Obama Chevy.
Rich

I think a second opinion would not be out of the question at this point. Doktor A, Andy Bittenbinder and Sprintguy, Carl come to mind (both of them post in this forum). There are others. You can search contact info from the blue bar above.

Not all mechanics are created equal. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Sprinter dealer told me today I need a new engine. He rattled off all the compression checks and also said there was a tremendous amount of blow by thus causing the need for a new motor.
Rich
The 'compression test' your dealer likely performed is a electronic, DRBIII test using starter speed comparisons between cylinders.

It's a quick test that points to a need for further testing and is not a substitute for a traditional, pressure test of cylinder compression using a pressure gauge. Nor is it a substitute for a leak down test. Get a local, second opinion or give me a call. Doktor A

Top Bottom