Webasto heater installation

mackconsult

Last weekend my dog and I camped out in the van up at my father in laws cabin (2300 ft). It got down to 25 at night and my catalytic propane heater kept going out for some reason. I made the executive decision (at 3 am, when my dog climbed into my sleeping bag :lol:) that it would be worth it to put a webasto diesel heater in under my passenger seat.

My plan is to have my brother in law make some stainless sheet metal shrouds that would encase the unit under the seat. Controls for the heater would be put right there in the sheet metal, and I would punch holes in the floor for the exhaust, fuel, and electrical lines. I am looking at a few units on ebay right now, and they say they all take 24 volts.

Looks like I will have to step up the second battery installation to make this happen and get access to 24 volts. I have researched and documented on how others have added second batteries.

Any recommendations on how to "wire" my bus so that I will have a 24 volt power access for this heater?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Only way to do it is to stack batteries, which imho is a waste just for that. The other way is to convert 12V to AC, step it up, and convert it to 24Vdc, which is another waste. Probably better doing it with two batteries because it's simpler, maybe cheaper, without the added waste.

Get yourself a another/better catalytic heater. :smirk:

Have you looked into Espar? I would think they run off 12V

Also, is there a reason why you want the Webasto inside? Can't it be hung outside and the heated air plumbed in? I haven't seen the Webasto unit, so I don't know the weather proof-ness of it.

mackconsult

I should be able to do two batteries under the passenger seat??

They are designed for internal installation. In the marine industry the heavily used as heating applications in the cabins.

Top Bottom