install GPS

pondpuppy

I have a 2007 cargo van - has anyone in sprinter world installed the Pioneer AVIC Z110BT in their van? The sprinter opening in the dash measures 9 5/8 x 5 1/8 and the Pioneer unit is a bit smaller. Any other advice for a GPS unit in the dash? Not really interested in hanging my laptop on the dash and I have been using my laptop off the passenger seat turned toward me. Any advice out there??

mackconsult

Why do an in dash unit? There is lots of space on the dash of a sprinter, and they make units that easily attach to dash or windshield. Then it can be easily removable so it isn't a theft risk. Not only this it makes it easier to move to your next vehicle.

Personally I like to use a portable GPS. Can be used in my sprinter van, passat VW wagon, XR600R trailbike, and my Avon for use on the coast.

Just me .......

sikwan

06 Tin Can
If you do a search, someone here installed the Alpine unit that mounts nicely in the space. It is GPS capable as it has a GPS box plugin as an accessory.

d_bertko

Jotto desks are very popular for apps like police cars if you choose to continue the laptop route.

Personally I think that installed gps are a ripoff for a technology that is getting much cheaper. I'd guess that two years from now an Apple tablet or other cool device with gps would make you feel completely out of date.

I'm waiting for a heads-up display...

72chevy4x4

I have a Ram Mount for my chevy boxvan and will move it to the Sprinter. Found it on ebay for ~$60 and it's great for a service vehicle (tilts and rotates). sorry, no info re: the GPS.

WanderOften

I have one of the Kenwood DNX series units and it fit's perfectly. It has a built Garmin GPS(no discs) and is extremely intuitive to use. I've been super-happy with it's functionality and performance. It runs my iPod, GPS, satellite radio, and has a back-up camera as well. It can also play dvd's and run a bluetooth for the phone. Pretty slick!!

CocoaVan

I use a Garmin nuvi 885t with a RAM Mount on the dash. I like having the GPS receiver in my driving field of view.
I used a RAM Mount round plate with 1" ball, part RAM-B-202U. The base is 2.5" round and fits into the dash-top cup holder on the left side of instrument of the instrument cluster. I used a 2.5" adhesive disk to affix the base to the bottom of the cup holder. To the base plate I added a RAM Mount 6" arm, RAM-B-201U-C. To the arm I attached a RAM Mount diamond plate (plastic) with 1" ball, RAP-B-238U. The final piece is the RAM Mount Gamin nuvi 800 series cradle, RAM-HOL-GA30U. I will post pictures when I get my Sprinter back from Sportsmobile in a couple weeks. Sportsmobile installed a Titan III GPS antenna on the roof of my Sprinter, but the nuvi 885t worked very well without an external antenna. The nuvi 885t has bluetooth and MSN Direct features, which I use frequently. My peeves with this unit are few, the main one is that the max volume of the dual internal speakers is marginal when road/wind noise is high. This is my fourth Garmin GPS receiver and definitely my favorite.

Brian

Keikojay

I would caution you against including your GPS system in your receiver. The software updates do not come close to the utilities that come on a new GPS. Buying a new GPS device in a few years is off set by the new maps $90/yr you won't buy and selling (or donating) your older unit. :smilewink:

A stand alone GPS has multi-tasking uses. I park in a strange city or trail head ,mark where I park then use the GPS to find things or measure a hike, bike ride or skate and most importantly, find my way back to the van when I am turned around.

P.S. I would never install a receiver that lacked an 3.5mm pug for input. Who knows what you are going to want to listen to in future years.

Last edited:

Top Bottom