2003 316 with cold start issues

frostback

junior sprinter
I've been having an issue with my Sprinter starting on cold wet mornings. It will crank for up to a minute before starting and when it does catch there is a cyclical idle issue for the first minute or so. There is no puff of smoke and it has never failed to start it just takes awhile. If it is dry and cold it starts fine but this is rarely the case here in coastal B.C. I've plugged it into a scanner and found no codes. Glow plugs, glow plug relay and battery were replaced about two years ago. I've been told it may be the crankshaft position sensor or possibly an air temp sensor. Currently has about 145K miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

whodat

Hi Derek,

I have a similar, cyclical idle issue, on my 03/2500/316/70k. Mine starts fine, but it cycles like you described for 10-15 seconds, then smooths out.

A week or so ago I posed a similar question in the forum. A senior member replied with a detailed explanation of the significance of the glow plugs to the start/run/idle sequence. Since my glow plug circuit is currently not functional, this seemed to be a very reasonable explanation for the idle condition.

Interestingly though, your plugs are functional, yet you're having a similar problem. Now let me add this. I'm now experiencing an intermittent fuel leak (on cold start) from the high pressure side of the fuel pump.

Curious that another member responded to your post suggesting a connection to fuel rail/pressure.

Not sure if our Sprinters have the same disease, but the symptoms sound similar.

Just thought I'd share this.

Don

Top Bottom