Are these serious problems on Purchasing a 05 Sprinter?

Surf44

2004 158 2500
Looking at an 2005 Sprinter 158” 2500 with 349k miles asking $7k.

It looks like a well maintained van other than the high miles, but he says it has some problems which are

-A/C works when it wants to. I believe the issue is with the control in the dash. It blows cold when it works. It has not been an issue for me so I have not had the control unit rebuilt.

- Back doors are a little jacked from the previous owner. They still lock just fine.

- When it is cold in the morning it will throw 4 codes all dealing with Cylinder Glow Plug Circuits.
The Codes are P0674, P0672, P0671 and P0380. It has done this since I purchased the van. After researching the forum, and determining it is a nonissue, I just clear the codes with the ScanGauge and drive on.

Other than the doors with I think could either be lived with or replaced, is the A/C problem that easy and the glow plug problem actually a nonissue?

quillaja

2004 2500 140WB high roof
I'd venture to guess (didn't look up those specific codes) that the glow plug errors are either 1 or more bad plugs and/or a bad glow plug module. The GPM is easy to replace and not terribly expensive ($100ish iirc). The glow plugs themselves are about $25 each. They're theoretically very easy to replace (pretty much identical to a spark plug), but if they break off you could potentially be looking at an expensive repair (lots of older posts in the forum about that).

You can have your AC control refurbished with new parts (such as the potentiometer for the temp dial) from some ebay module refurbisher, and I think it was about $100. Might also just want to check that the vent covering the temp sensor on the control panel isn't clogged with dust.

Other than the doors with I think could either be lived with or replaced, is the A/C problem that easy and the glow plug problem actually a nonissue?
Intermittent problems are often difficult to track down. You symptoms could be the result of many things. The ATC relay contacts can become wonky. Solder joints can deteriorate. Harness/connector problems are a possibility.

If you never operate in below 20F - 25F ambient temperatures the GP's aren't really necessary. I find that Power Service Diesel Fuel Conditioner w/ Antigel (white jug) helps with cold weather starting when the GP system is deficient. That said, your annual emissions inspection may require the system to work.

:cheers: vic

ions82

They don't seem like major problems. Is it a retired FedEx van? There have been lots of 158s hitting the market as FedEx retires them between 325-350K. I bought one (for $5K) with 333K on the clock. $7K seems a bit high as most I've seen are in the $4.5-5K range. Take a look at the wiring harnesses around the motor. I noticed mine had new zip ties all over. Everything was very clean. Turns out FedEx replaced the motor and trans with genuine MBZ just a couple years before retiring it. Once I realized that, I was far more satisfied with my purchase. I have no idea how common it is for FedEx to replace motors and transmissions. It was purely dumb luck with mine. I had no idea when I bought it, but it might be something for others to look for if considering a FedEx unit. The trans has a date stamp on the side that is fairly easy to access. Perhaps some of the retired units are diamonds in the rough.

That said, I am in the finishing stages of rebuilding the rear end. Once that's done, all major components should be good to go for the foreseeable future. People are surprised that I bought a van with over 300K. Little do they know... :smirk:

Surf44

2004 158 2500
Thanks, so problems aren’t major. He has owned the van since 2013 and put 100k on it. Has a scan gauge with it and also a 2003 rebuilt transmission that he got from his previous sprinter after a crash and it got totaled.

I have seen quite a bit of fedex vans here in Florida, but I thought you should shy away from them because its a gamble might get one like you got or might get one that an employee was driving the sh## out of. Also they seem like they are always fresh paint jobs and asking above $10k.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/raleigh-2005-dodge-sprinter-2500-high/7008096156.html

ions82

That's a nice rig. Looks to have been well cared for. Lots of great extras, too. If you are set on jumping into the Sprinter game, that would be a great way to do it.

anon7

The AC is probably a solder joint behind the knob that you turn to control from hot to cold temp on the dash. Its a known sprinter issue. I have fixing this on my to-do list for one of my 04 sprinters, but after spending about $700 on my AC last summer only to find it come on cold "at random" and go away "at random", I discovered that if you "properly motivate" (IE: punch, smack, hit) the turn knob it may work! Not a perm fix, but might get ya a couple days. They sell new knob setups which are quite pricey, but there's some threads here on the forums showing where and how to solder, and Id strongly recommend that over hitting it!!! I have a special setup in that van, and there's equipment where the dash to be removed is, so my situation isn't as easy as most. But popping it a good one got me through the last half of August when we had record temps and work was off the record busy. I discovered this by accident actually. Id spent 2 days and $700 repairing mine, and when the wife asked why no AC, I kinda lost it and punched the knob along with a couple dirty words.. The air turned cold, we both got a good laugh from it. It stayed cold for about 4 days, punched it again got almost a week, and well... decided fixing it made more sense that hurting the knuckles. At least I know what the issue is.

Cavah

2002 Hymer RV, 2500 chassis
I got my excellent condition 2003 140wb passenger with 85k, new paint and brakes for $7500.....

So I would say that is NOT a deal I would go for.........

I would just keep looking , unless you need one now.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Seems an alright deal, van looks pretty clean and cared for. Used is always a gamble, still a van this clean looking does not come around that often. My concern would be the miles, rebuilt engine and trans are big bucks. If you have the space for storage an economic choice would be this van plus a low mileage rust bucket for parts , that combo is very long lasting.

Surf44

2004 158 2500
I got my excellent condition 2003 140wb passenger with 85k, new paint and brakes for $7500.....

So I would say that is NOT a deal I would go for.........

I would just keep looking , unless you need one now.
Where did you find that one! Anything around me with less than 150k miles is considered gold and people are expecting $15-20k.

Where did you find that one! ...
Some people luck out. Some people search diligently.

Some sellers under price. Some sellers over price.

I paid more for my 2006 Freightliner than some would. It is easy for those on the forum to tell you what you should or should not expect/spend.

After looking some time for a replacement for my then old 2004 Dodge I decided that I would not find my Unicorn so I paid what I considered a reasonable price. It was good to move forward and stop searching. After $2 - 3000.00 in DIY repairs/parts the 2006 is a nice van.

I'm just now heading out to deliver a package with my now even older 2004 that I still have on the road. (Older than it was when "replaced" with the 2006.) 3 years after buying the 2006 as a replacement ... damned if it ain't almost 4 years now... the 2004 is still running great and used almost daily.

12-19-2015
Well...

Nobody is getting rid of me too soon now.

I just purchased an overpriced 2006 Freightliner passenger Sprinter.

For my comfort it will get new brakes all around, new shocks/struts, new(er) tires, and some other cosmetic trim work.

There is nobody who should have paid as much as I did for a van in the condition that it is in. It wouldn't make sense.

Why did I do it?

I'm not really certain that the Ford Transit will do what I want. I know that we love the T1N and it does what we need.

I know that I can work on a T1N. An NCV3 or Transit is a wild card for that

As time goes by a T1N with relatively low miles and a good rust free body will be harder to find.

I can switch most of my T1N modifications over to the passenger model.

The 2006 has good bones. The engine has under 150,000 miles. A clean injector gallery. Sounds good while running. The new style flex plate. A solid exhaust system. No rust to speak of. Decent Arctic Whitewash paint. Clean interior. An auxiliary Espar heater. Power windows. And, I'm not certain this is so good, power door locks.

I have a plan of what to do to extend the no rust condition in the northeast. At my typical 18,000 miles per year I should get many more good years out of my 2006. (Fingers crossed, knock/touch wood. :bash:)

So for a time I will own two Sprinters. We need the 2004 with 293,000 miles on it for Florida trips and towing to this winter's regattas. I'm convinced that I could have coaxed more years out of that van. It will be used as a donor for some of the cosmetic parts I need for the 2006. I figure that gives me more value than the sale price will with that many miles whether trim pieces are perfect or not.

Even with some of my self imposed problems on the Sprinter I've had good luck with my 2004 T1N. Here's to hoping this one will be as good.

As always clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

A bit of unsolicited advice.
After you make your purchase stop looking at vehicle advertisements. There will always be some better priced truck listed somewhere. You don't know the real condition of the offered trucks. You aren't going to buy it anyway. Looking around will likely only make you feel bad, not better. Focus on what you bought.

Last edited:

Top Bottom