Adding an Espar... doable?

danski0224

I have a 2006 140" with the Espar heater, and I find it to be invaluable.

When I bought that Sprinter, I didn't plan on buying another... well, I should have bought the bigger one at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Just for fun, I "ordered" a 2008 online using the build you own, and the price quickly eclipsed 50k... pipe dream for me. Used 158" 06 models aren't a whole lot cheaper than "new" and that Espar option must be rare. Maybe someone originally ordered the 06 I have and backed out.

Fast forward to today, and there are some decent "discounts" on remaining 2008 models... but none locally have the Espar heater. Based on what mine has and how a few new ones are configured, that and the 08 "heater booster" is the only major difference between my 06 and the "new old stock" 2008.

I suppose that adding an OE integrated Espar is out of the question... but has anyone done an aftermarket version?

I did (helped) one in my 2005 VW Jetta, using a Webasto kit. It isn't OE integrated... but it works nicely.

Any quirks or issues I should be concerned about between the 06 and 08 models?

Thanks

Diamondsea

I have added an Espar under the passenger seat of my '09 and I think doing the same for an '08 or '07 would be similar. For details and pictures search this forum for "Espar Installation". I am out camping and ran it all night last night; it is great! Very little drain on my house battery.

bikergar

As far as converting the heater booster the answer was a big no. It has been done in Europe by Mercedes with the help of Germany. Dodge does not have the relationship (technical) with Germany or the tools to convert it. With Mercedes taking over in January this may change, but it would still take a lot of cooperation and you would surely be a guinea pig. The new answer is it maybe possible but not probable. I have a heater booster and would like to have it converted but hold little hope in ever having it done. Take a look at the posts made by member NEMU in this thread.

Captureheater1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom