Axle and transmission ratios with OM602

JSPC

I own a Mercedes G wagon with an OM602 turbo and an axle ratio of 4.11. I considering swapping the 4 speed transmission for a 5 speed with overdrive and I'm trying to figure out if that would be asking too much from the engine. I think Sprinters use a lower final ratio than Gs so I thought this may give me answer but I haven't been able to find complete specs online so I thought I would ask Sprinter folks :smilewink:

I would like to know what are the combinations of transmission and axle ratios available on Sprinter with the OM602 engine. I guess tire size would also be helpful but I have a decent idea of them. Any good website that may have this information could also do the trick.

Thanks guys

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi JS,

You may struggle to get any answers to your questions as the OM 602 engine was last used in the First generation Sprinter (T1) in 2000 and most forum members are in the USA where the first Sprinter was not imported until 2003 (with the OM612 engine).

This is the Wiki page for the OM602 engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM602_engine

There is a scanned copy of the Peter Russek manual in the DIYSprinter repository here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/Mercedes_207_208_210_307_308_310_408_410D_service_manual_EN.pdf which may be helpful.

Keith.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
There are a couple of om602 sprinter owners in the australian section. I know the 4x4 4speed auto versions of those vans have 4.1 ratio diffs and they are reportedly pretty gutless. They run 225/70r15 tyres stock. And as you can imagine they are screaming at highway speeds.

The tallest possible diff would be 3 7. Through a 1:1 top gear they too would be screaming at highway speeds. Something like 3300rpm. And Im sure you already know the om602 doesnt lile screaming.

My CDI t1n with 3.7 diff and 722.6 was around 2800rpm at 100kph on the stock 15" tyres in 5th gear. Now changed to 225/75r16 its 2200rpm.

I think your problem will be the low torque from the om602. So rather than going to the trouble of fitting a 722.6, why not just put on bigger wheels/tyres? Then look into turning up the fuel on the engine.

JSPC

So I gather that most users on this site are from the North America? I'll search for a European forum then. Still, thanks for the comments, I always appreciate when people take some of their time to help with my problem!

Also, thanks for the guide, I didn't find my answer in it but it may come in handy at some point.

As for the tyres it's complicated. I cannot put bigger tires because I already have 235/85R16. Even with those I'm at 3000 rpm @ 100 km/h. If I want to put bigger I need to buy 18" wheels which are wider w/ bigger offset so I need fender flares which changes the look of the truck... long story short, I don't want to go there. I have investigated simpler solutions and I decided the best is either to live with it or put a 711.113 on it hence my question. I don't find the engine to be that weak honestly, but I guess everything is relative... in G wagon world most people have OM617 or OM602 non turbo so my truck is actually quite strong :). In Sprinter world I guess everyone has CDI so different sport :laughing:

Do you guys know if the om602 engines were coupled with 5 speed manual transmission (with overdrive) on the T1?

Top Bottom