Considering replacing my Sprinter

Morry

2004 2500 Long and Tall
I currently have an '04 long and tall cargo model. I am considering replacing it with a '08-'09 170" model. I seem to be having trouble locating one that fits my needs. Nobody that I called had one that was pretty loaded with sliding doors on both sides and windows in the side and rear doors. Has anyone had experiences with the drivers side sliding door? How have the new models been holding up? How has the new diesel engine been?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Morry

2004 2500 Long and Tall
I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. I would drive anywhere reasonable for the right vehicle at the right price.

Hikinginpdx

Sprinter is for sale
I've you go to the Dodge webpage, there is an option to search new inventory. Plug in your zip and it will tell you all the dealers with Sprinters within whatever area you specify. It is even possible to look at the window sticker to see exactly what you want.

When I was ready to buy, I found all the ones within a few hundred miles that fit my needs. My #1 choice was really a long way but slightly better equiped. I called the dealer with my #2 choice, and within 10 minutes I had the deal locked for the price I wanted.

Couldn't have been a easier deal.

No clue if Freightliner has a similar system.

Keith

I've been shopping hard for a few weeks now. When you go to the Dodge web site and select dealer locator, you want the advanced search so you can show only dodge sprinter dealers. Here's a few you can call:
Junction Auto Sale… chardon, OH 440-286-6161
Bob Caldwell Chrys… columbus, OH 614-888-2331
Grieger's Motor Sa… valparaiso, IN 219-462-4117
Sherman Skokie, IL 888-430-3783

It seems theres an incentive program, dealers are getting $10,000 for each one they sell. I was told (by a salesman) that the program is going through October, so you need to act soon. However, let me add that I've looked at literally hundreds of window stickers on line, and I don't recall seeing any new vans with the two sliding doors.

There's a thread on this forum comparing the I5 (T1N) and the V6 (NCV3). After reading it, I was convinced that I want the I5, not the new V6.

Good luck!

Morry

2004 2500 Long and Tall
Thanks for the info. I have no clue as to the value of mine. I guess that I would first have to find a replacement.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Morry

Here's a 3500, 144 with 2 sliders but no windows.

gary

Telling you, now IS a great time to buy a new one. Wild guess here but, IMO once Mercedes gets the gig, these prices will be history.

Why are you looking to replace your truck Morry?

Quite a user name there Bruce.

Morry

2004 2500 Long and Tall
My main reason is the driver side sliding door. It would be MUCH more convenient for my business. I am a handyman and am constantly climbing in and out. The second side door would save me time and my back and legs would also appreciate it.

bruce did u get one? what price did u get?
I called around and found incentives are down by $2k
I was about to buy a new 2008, but after learning more, I decided I wanted the T1N, so I got a 2002 with 315,000 in limp mode for 7,000. I spent another 1,600, and I'm pretty happy with it. I suspect we'll never see prices this low again, both new and used.

But, I wish I had waited for this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...dccQQitemZ190347009484QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

cedarsanctum

re: Member

Chandlerazman

Bruce, you could always sell the one you've got to make room for this one :thumbup:

Of course, the concern I have is their $1200 paint job. It may look nice, but if you look closely, there are quite a few dings and dents hidden in all that shiny-ness. I'm sure they did minimal to prep for the paint that's on it. (Unless it was painted elsewhere...)

All in all, for the mileage, it is a very good deal at the buy it now price regardless.

Bruce, you could always sell the one you've got to make room for this one :thumbup:
Believe me, I've considered it! Being from Houston, my guess is it has NO RUST. Someone could paint it white, and it would be almost new. The only thing I don't like about it is they say it has 15 inch wheels. Thats something I want to correct on my van, I have 15" wheels.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Believe me, I've considered it! Being from Houston, my guess is it has NO RUST. Someone could paint it white, and it would be almost new. The only thing I don't like about it is they say it has 15 inch wheels. Thats something I want to correct on my van, I have 15" wheels.
TX body, low miles, long wheelbase....the school-bus yellow is a deal breaker though:tongue:

Bruce, all the `02's have 15" wheels. I'm not sure why everyone dislikes them so much. The tires are rated for the weight, I don't think there's been any safety issues, and it actually makes the truck easier to work out of. Mine was the first batch over with the 16"ers...I initially was a little disappointed.

The early ones (AKA the good ones:thumbup:) with low miles are getting rarer. This eBay unit could be a nice find.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Bruce, all the `02's have 15" wheels. I'm not sure why everyone dislikes them so much.
Only the EARLY '02s have 15 inch wheels for ALL wheelbase configurations. In mid-year '02 the 2500 140 and 158 were configured for 16" wheels. The 118" and all 3500s remained 15" through '06. Exception were the '06 cab chassis 3500 which received 16"s.

The 15 inch tires are 'disliked' because replacement tires are hard to find, not available from Michelin, and the German Goodyear Cargo Vectors, in particular, are prone to structural issues. Doktor A

312 diesel (closed)

Only the EARLY '02s have 15 inch wheels for ALL wheelbase configurations. In mid-year '02 the 2500 140 and 158 were configured for 16" wheels. The 118" and all 3500s remained 15" through '06. Exception were the '06 cab chassis 3500 which received 16"s.

The 15 inch tires are 'disliked' because replacement tires are hard to find, not available from Michelin, and the German Goodyear Cargo Vectors, in particular, are prone to structural issues. Doktor A
Michelin make the Agilis in a Sprinter 15" size then there is the Continental and people seem to really get good mileage out of the Maxmiler by GT Radial as the budget option.

Top Bottom