Defrost and low coolant sensor

yuke

I'm having 2 issues on my 05 T1N. First is I can never get the van to defrost the windshield. In very cold conditions it simply will not melt ice from windshield and even in damp 46 degree rainy conditions cannot clear haze from inside of windshield. Where is air supposed to come out to clear windshield? I have 2 side vents and 2 vents on top of dash each side of radio speaker but none of them will direct air toward windshield and the 2 top vents only have ambient air coming out no heat. When I have dial set to defrost I feel no air directed to windshield makeing driving very dangerous. What is solution?

Second issue is the low coolant sensor I do have a small leak in radiator at top seam 1st time light went I checked coolant which was low topped it off light stayed off for many miles next time it went on topped off again but light seems to go on off when hitting a bump or turning sometimes staying on or off many miles at a time but van never gets over 180 on temp. gauge. I did check my sensor other day by pulling it out about 1/4" light went on then off when putting it back in but as soon as I used it today and made a sharp turn to right it went on till I hit a bump cople miles down the road then went off. I do have another radiator on order from Summit racing for $150. I heard that there is a magnet that is down in the tank could this magnet maybe have moved on me giving me the on off readings with low coolant or do you think my erratic sensor readings will cease with install of new radiator?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Check the owners manual. Assuming your direction control knob/cables work, set the dial/knob to defrost. Then close the driver and passenger vents. This will force air to the windshield ducts. The top middle two vents are AC or ambient air only. I generally close them in the winter.

Do not rely on the temp gauge to inform you of a coolant issue. You are just going to melt down your engine that way. If you use a flashlight and look down into the coolant reservoir, there is a little pad that says (max) and one farther down that says min. Fill it up to the max level cold. If the light is going off and you are well below the max (about 2" i think) you are near the min, and the coolant sensor is doing its job. If its triggering and the coolant level is fine, then the float may be worn out and not doing its job.

Regardless, you should replace the radiator before it fails badly, and you need $10k of new engine.

yuke

Thank you Drifter I will try closing all side and top vents and see if I can get any air to come up windshield vents. On the low coolant sensor I will take you advice and keep a close eye on the coolant level. I also have to check my thermostat as yesterday in a 50 deg. rainy day it took the van about 8 miles to get up to operating temp. which I think should only take about 3-4 miles.
I just had a thought that I can turn my setting dial 360 and just keep going I do not think this is right? If I have to check the cables controlling the settings can you fairly easily pull the front off to check?

Last edited:

IMAC

IMac
I'm having 2 issues on my 05 T1N. First is I can never get the van to defrost the windshield. In very cold conditions it simply will not melt ice from windshield and even in damp 46 degree rainy conditions cannot clear haze from inside of windshield. Where is air supposed to come out to clear windshield? I have 2 side vents and 2 vents on top of dash each side of radio speaker but none of them will direct air toward windshield and the 2 top vents only have ambient air coming out no heat. When I have dial set to defrost I feel no air directed to windshield makeing driving very dangerous. What is solution?

Second issue is the low coolant sensor I do have a small leak in radiator at top seam 1st time light went I checked coolant which was low topped it off light stayed off for many miles next time it went on topped off again but light seems to go on off when hitting a bump or turning sometimes staying on or off many miles at a time but van never gets over 180 on temp. gauge. I did check my sensor other day by pulling it out about 1/4" light went on then off when putting it back in but as soon as I used it today and made a sharp turn to right it went on till I hit a bump cople miles down the road then went off. I do have another radiator on order from Summit racing for $150. I heard that there is a magnet that is down in the tank could this magnet maybe have moved on me giving me the on off readings with low coolant or do you think my erratic sensor readings will cease with install of new radiator?
Sounds like your hose fell off. The demist air blows out right accross the bottom of windscreen. The air flow control unit ??"HVAC"?? also has cable pull push controlls which may be faulty.

IMac

Top Bottom