Transmission slipping/caughing, hard to diagnose

Hi guys,

What I believe is my transmission is starting to act weird. It has not prevented me from going anywhere but I'd like to try to tackle the problem before it gets too bad.

When the engine and tran are cold, especially if im driving slowly up a hill, a noise will start and only be audible for about a half second and then everything is back to normal. It is the same noise I hear when I'm accelerating a lot and then suddenly release the gas pedal, but a bit shorter. Im not throwing any codes.

I had the RSN fix for a while until I started seeing metal shavings in my tranny pan, which lead me to replace the drilled plate by a fresh one. That was a while ago, and for some time I had the RSN which seems to have disappeared a little, I'm guessing mostly due to warmer weather.

I'm using 265 75 16 tires and the van weighs 7500 to 8000 pounds total constantly, which I know is stressing the tranny quite a bit. I'll probably get an oversized pan with fins.

Thanks for any help,

Phil

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
hi phil,
do you have access to a good scanner to re set the TCM module?..I have a solus pro, and it took a couple of times to get it right..after which, it still seems to take a while to "learn" your driving style...mine nice now.
just out of interest..where did you get the new, un-drilled plate?..i have a drilled one and want a un drilled spare .
cheers.
Erl

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
hi phil,
do you have access to a good scanner to re set the TCM module?..I have a solus pro, and it took a couple of times to get it right..after which, it still seems to take a while to "learn" your driving style...mine nice now.
just out of interest..where did you get the new, un-drilled plate?..i have a drilled one and want a un drilled spare .
cheers.
Erl
Take it to some one that can weld it for you. I welded mine on both side and ground it, sand it, and it works fine. See a picture of it below...

https://mega.nz/#!x6AkwaQS!UXe513vposJ5iS6UTYijvvXValNbaU2nr-elpNSpHZM
Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Hi guys,

What I believe is my transmission is starting to act weird. It has not prevented me from going anywhere but I'd like to try to tackle the problem before it gets too bad.

When the engine and tran are cold, especially if im driving slowly up a hill, a noise will start and only be audible for about a half second and then everything is back to normal. It is the same noise I hear when I'm accelerating a lot and then suddenly release the gas pedal, but a bit shorter. Im not throwing any codes.

I had the RSN fix for a while until I started seeing metal shavings in my tranny pan, which lead me to replace the drilled plate by a fresh one. That was a while ago, and for some time I had the RSN which seems to have disappeared a little, I'm guessing mostly due to warmer weather.

I'm using 265 75 16 tires and the van weighs 7500 to 8000 pounds total constantly, which I know is stressing the tranny quite a bit. I'll probably get an oversized pan with fins.

Thanks for any help,

Phil
Is the noise coming right under your feet and seat? Or a bit further in the back?

I would start by checking the driveshaft first, the joints and bearings... And why are you using such wide tires on a T1N?

Top Bottom