PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on code P2199

Mjmcginl
10-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Newbie here--I've been lurking and reading this forum for some time now and finally have something to post about! My husband and I are out in our '06 Sprinter for 3 weeks (we're a band gradually converting it little bit by little bit when we're home from tour) and our check engine light came on. The code that read out was P2199 and when I researched it on here I came up with two different interpretations: IAT corellation 1/2 and Fuel Quantity Solenator Short to Ground. The van seems to be running fine (mostly highway driving) and getting good fuel mileage.

Which part should we assume is causing the P2199 error, the IAT sensor (in the air system) or the Fuel Quantity Control Valve on the High Pressure Pump assembly? They seem so unrelated that I can't imagine that code is an indicator of both.
One more clue is that when borrowing the universal reader from Advanced Auto, it read out the IAT correlation 1/2 with the code number- not sure if the reader knew it was a Sprinter, perhaps the codes mean something different on Sprinters than other vehicles (our auto of choice IS rather special, isn't it?). :)
Thanks so much for any guidance!
Melissa

autostaretx
10-09-2009, 03:22 AM
In my three failures of my 2005's IAT sensor (and three different part numbers as replacements, as MB kept trying to correct the supplier's part), the P2199 was the code. (the first was 300 miles into ownership)

With a ScanGauge (www.scangauge.com) you can -read- the IAT's report... and mine was reading over 100F higher than the ambient air temperature the 3rd time (check engine light, but no effect upon driving).

..i'd change the IAT... it's quick, cheap and easy... (at worst, you'll have a spare)

--dick

rvdriverca
10-09-2009, 03:23 AM
The intake air temperature sensor go bad all the time. I carry a spare in the glove compartment. You can replace it you self in about 3 min. Its located on the vertical plastic air tube on the driver side on the back. You can see the wire leading to it. You can order one from here http://europarts-sd.com/ hope this helps.:2cents:

boardster
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
The intake air temperature sensor go bad all the time. You can replace it you self in about 3 min. Its located on the vertical plastic air tube on the driver side on the back.

My '08's went bad at 13,000 miles, and was replaced under warranty.
Is it just as quick & easy a fix on the NCV3?

Mjmcginl
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks so much for the tips. I ordered the part and will replace it soon. The only thing that confuses me still is why a search for code P2199 on this forum brought up a master code list that said that P2199 was "fuel quantity solenoid short to ground." I'm glad that you all experienced Sprinter owners guided me towards the IAT problem--much cheaper fix than the fuel flow control!
Thanks again!!

sikwan
10-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks so much for the tips. I ordered the part and will replace it soon. The only thing that confuses me still is why a search for code P2199 on this forum brought up a master code list that said that P2199 was "fuel quantity solenoid short to ground.

The "fuel quantity solenoid short to ground" reference to P2199 is from the service manual in the Powertrain volume. I believe the IAT reference to P2199 is from the industry standard Generic Code list.

You do bring up a good question, though, as to which one to believe. :idunno:

autostaretx
10-10-2009, 04:14 AM
The meaning of a code number can also be model-year specific.
(just like "where the fuse?")
That's why it helps to have -your- year's Service Manual.

I did a little digging into the Yahoo sprintervan archives, and there was a P2199 thread back in April.
Ken posted:
-----------
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/50271

Error Code - P2199 (Fuel Quantity Solenoid Short to Ground?) That Right?

PID02= 2199
PID04= 1B LOD= 10
PID05= 81 WTF=191
PID0B= 5D MAP PSI= 13.6
PID0C= 0534 RPM= 666
PID0D= 14 MPH= 12
PID0F= A4 IAT f = 254 <<<--- bingo
PID10= FBFB GPH= 0.19
All other PIDs empty.
-----------------
When the Check Engine light goes on, a bunch of the current operating parameters are stored.
The BIG CLUE in the above was the "IAT f=254" 254 degrees Fahrenheit?
Your borrowed code scanner should have been able to access those numbers.

good luck
--dick

Aqua Puttana
10-10-2009, 04:43 AM
FWIW. I think (My version of a Jon "gut" feeling?) that when using a generic OBDII scan tool I would first go to the generic diesel code listings and believe them until further testing tells you differently.

Generic scan tool = generic readouts=generic list.

Maybe that doesn't always apply to tools like the Scangauge, but certainly it seems to for more basic scan units.

I've seen more than a few instances where checking for codes with an OBDII scan tool and using the big Sprinter code list gives erroneous/odd information.

That said, if the generic code list doesn't give you enough information and you're unable to use other methods to determine the real problem the only proper answer is to use a Sprinter specific dealer type scan tool (DRBIII with special card and cable for T1N's.) that will give you correct information. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

Edit: I just checked the code lists and now see that this P2199 code issue seems to be true for P2195/P2197/P2198 having dual identities also. In this case my generic code suggestion does not apply.

dfhepner
12-10-2009, 02:14 AM
I have a 2006 Sprinter Van, 118" WB, standard roof. about two months ago I had a problem with loss of power. But seem to run sort of, but not a zippy. It was like this for a while with no check engine light. Then I noticed that it was struggling going up hill. When I started up in the evening the check engine light came on. I took it in for service expecting it to be the resonator. They checked the code and got 2672-008 Intake/Inlet Temp sensor but found faulty MAF sensor. Of course they did not have one in stock so another visit to get it fixed. Then about 100 miles later I had the same problem no high end passing power on the freeway in the morning. Check engine light in the evening. The tech read the same code 2672-008 but this time they replaced the boost pressure sensor and cleared the codes.
I took it out on the Freeway and pushed it hard several times and this time in slowed way down and I limped back to the dealer with no check engine light. The diag came up with 2359-001 Low Boost pressure and tech sees smoke leaking at resonator so replaces resonator. The van runs great and is very responsive.
The following morning I start up and notice that I have the same problem with low power on the freeway and going up the hill. In the evening when I start home I get a check engine light. I take it into the tech again. Same code 2672-008 and get the MAP sensor replaced. Driving later that day it did not seem like it had the power it should.
The next day same problem on the freeway and up the hill with the check engine light on the evening trip home.
I bought a ScanGuageII and connected it to the van while I waited for my appointment a week later. The code that it read out was P2199. I drove around for the next two days with the ScanGuageII connected monitoring the MAP (Boost) and FIA (intake air Temp). I see that my max pressure was about 19 PSI with 14.6 at idle. The temperature was always around 148 to 150. The other night I just went ahead and reset the code. The temperature stayed the same but now I had power the MAP reading would go upto 35 PSI.
This morning when I started out the temperature was 148 with out even starting the engine and the pressure was low again. I had the same problem on the freeway with no power for passing. After the van heats up I pull over and shut down and then restart (the MicroSoft solution to problems :idunno:) I now had boost pressure and was able to power up the hill. I have a few more days until the appointment to see what they do. I expect that it is a problem with the temperature sensor.

I got a copy of the test procedure for code P2672 it states possible causes at Inlet Air temperature sensor (MAF) or Intake Air Temperature sensor (boost Pressure sensor)
test 1) start and idel the engine. With the DRBIII in sensors, read and compare the Intake Air Tempe and Inlet Air Tem sensor temperature readings. are the reading with in 10degF or each other? Yes -> Test complete. NO -> Go To 2

test 2) Start and idel the engine. With the DRBIII in Sensors, read the Inlet Air Temperature sensor and compare it to actual ambient temperature. Is the Inlet Air Temperature reading with in 10 degF of Actual ambient temperature. Yes -> Replace the boost Pressure sensor. No -> replace the MAF Sensor.
After each replacement they are to perform Road Test verification - VER-2. what ever that means.

After all of this I don't think that the ScanGuageII is seeing the same error codes as the DRBIII. Or the DRBIII converts the code and displays something else.

Does anyone know what codes I can use with the XGuage of ScanGuageII to get other information out of the Sprinter?

autostaretx
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
IF the ScanGauge thinks that the IAT is that far above ambient, when the engine's cold in the morning, the Intake Air Sensor really wants replacing.

You can test the IAT directly... pull it out (or leave it in), disconnect its cable and measure the sensor with an ohmmeter.

Vastly simplified, the resistance should be around 5000 ohms at freezing, and about 500 ohms at boiling.
When my sensors were going strange (roughly 150 F "ambient") i was seeing about 600 ohms at room temperature.
Far too low.

AFter buying a spare, it showed something like (working from memory, can't find my notes right now) 3000 homes at room temp.

The Tech Service Bulletin (TSB-18-020-05) for the intake air plumbing and diagnosis defines P2672 as:
---
INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENS PLAUSIBILITY - WITH AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
-------
...which means the IAT reading disagrees with the Ambient Temp Sensor (the one behind the front license plate).

I'd swap out the IAT. $32 (approx)

good luck
--dick

dfhepner
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I figured that the problem was with the IAT sensor. I called the dealer and they quoted $61 to order it. I have an appointment for service on Saturday so it will be covered under warranty. I will just have to take it back in later when the part comes in. They don't stock any parts at Stevens Creek Dodge in San Jose, Ca.

Aqua Puttana
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I figured that the problem was with the IAT sensor. I called the dealer and they quoted $61 to order it. I have an appointment for service on Saturday so it will be covered under warranty. I will just have to take it back in later when the part comes in. They don't stock any parts at Stevens Creek Dodge in San Jose, Ca.
Did they specifically tell you they would take it back or are they just going to leave yours installed and let you return the warrantied unit? Many dealerships will not take back electronic/electrical items for return once they leave the shop. Just a heads up in case.... AP/vic

dfhepner
12-14-2009, 05:46 AM
No I did not buy the part. I just took the van for service. They hooked it up to the DRB III and then came out and told me that they could not figure out what was going on as they had replaced the pressure sensor twice and the mass air flow sensor twice before. They are going to call the Star Hot line and see what they should do. When I got the van back that day the IAT was now reading normal and things are working fine. The tech must have reset something more in the computer that they had not done before.

Aqua Puttana
12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
.....I will just have to take it "the Sprinter, not the part":doh: back in later when the part comes in. ....
Sorry. Somehow I misread that you were going to get the part and put it in, then take the vehicle back for service????:bash:

Thanks for the follow-up. Let's hope the repair sticks. Good luck. AP/vic