Sputtering Engine / Loss of Power Diagnosis

Sepnir

Hi there, I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis model with a 15' box on the back. It's also equipped with a tow hitch and usually tows a 6x11' cargo trailer weighing around 3,000-4000 lbs with trailer and cargo.

On a recent trip from Virginia to Kansas City, after stopping to fill up at a gas station I began to notice power being a bit more sluggish and the van starting to rev a bit when trying to get up to power. It also began to trigger the occasional Limp Mode after never it occur before. (I have another van that has a huge unsolved issue with it so I'm fairly familiar with it)

The problem continued to worsen and after completing the trip and departing towards Pittsburgh more symptoms began to appear. Power worsened and limp activation became more frequent along with occasional odd high pitched noises and a strange occasional noise and rumble under the passenger seat. We stopped in St Louis at a Sprinter shop and they pulled the codes and diagnosed it as a faulty Air Sensor due to 3 related codes. I had had some old/dead battery issues a few weeks before and mentioned that I had read that these codes are often triggered as a result but they believed this was a likely cause of my problems.

After a little research showing that similar symptoms to what I was experiencing were attributed to faulty air sensors and being on a serious time constraint, I reluctantly agreed to have them change it. $900 later and in a hurry I drove off, having no issues for about 7 minutes before having it start up again. I had no time left and continued my drive to Pittsburgh, puttering along.

By the time I got to Pittsburgh and finished with my gig and off to Arkansas, the problem has worsened to Limp Mode being triggered after roughly 8 seconds of pushing down on the gas. I timed it and worked it out that you could hold the gas for 4 two second revs and then release the gas for a second and start the cycle again. This got me to Arkansas and to North Florida (albeit with quite the ankle work out) and now I have a little time and I'm trying to see if anyone here has any advice as to what to do as most the mechanics in the area aren't super sprinter experienced and I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Again, the van has very reduced power, it revs up for 2 seconds then stops and starts revving again, four times and then activates limp mode unless the gas pedal is released. It doesn't seem to show any issues while in Limp Mode besides usual power decrease and 55-60 top out speed. There is also quite a bit of black smoke and residue on the trailer. This seemed to have started before any engine issues but has worsened a bit.

I do remember reading about faulty turbos with levers getting stuck? I feel like this is a turbo problem because of that lack of issues once limp is engaged and turbo disable but I've replaced a turbo on another van with no success in solving my problem and am trying to avoid repeating this mistake.

Sorry for the novel, any advice is appreciated. Recommendations for mechanics near Live Oak, Florida would also be great.

Code read outs in pictures below.

Attachments

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
With mostly electrical issues , your wiring harness may be worn thru rubbing on the fuel filter bracket or elsewhere.
You need the air temp sensor fixed in the bumper

D

Deleted member 50714

Ditto post #2 plus check grounds and there's a boat load.

fixspr

Hi there, I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis model with a 15' box on the back. It's also equipped with a tow hitch and usually tows a 6x11' cargo trailer weighing around 3,000-4000 lbs with trailer and cargo.

On a recent trip from Virginia to Kansas City, after stopping to fill up at a gas station I began to notice power being a bit more sluggish and the van starting to rev a bit when trying to get up to power. It also began to trigger the occasional Limp Mode after never it occur before. (I have another van that has a huge unsolved issue with it so I'm fairly familiar with it)

The problem continued to worsen
Ever figure this out ? Having a similar problem on high demand and sputtering in any gear , sputtering and wont go up hills, However revs just fine? going to clean the grounds!

Top Bottom