2" Lift, Driveshaft doesn't seem seated correctly?

erikdsnow

Hey guys, hoping to get some feedback/ let me know if I should be worried.

I had a 2" van compass lift installed on my vehicle - before the install, I was notified by my mechanic that I needed a new center support bearing.

Install happened, and now that I got the van home, I climbed under and wanted to get a good look at everything.
I now am noticing that the tail shaft doesn't have a boot on it (The tech "damaged" it when removing the driveshaft)... and it seems like the tail shaft isn't seated very deep. The mechanic said it looks "normal".

Wondering if you guys can give me some feedback on these photos, and let me know if this looks right? The carrier bearing that the shop installed is clearly not an OEM bearing (part number on the invoice is DSPCN210391).
I’m worried about the tail shaft slipping out. Is this a possibility? should I order an OEM carrier bearing and install it instead? Besides the lift, I've tried to only buy OEM parts, so I'm leaning towards doing this anyway.

Attachments

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
This is not original driveshaft.
Agreed!!!

OEM driveshafts do not have circlip fittings in U/J's, they are either staked or welded (can't remember which).

And I didn't think you could change the centre bearing on an OEM shaft (but may be wrong on that one).

Keith.

Edit: On looking again have they fitted a full replacement driveshaft? Paint looks clean.

Edit 2: The part number you quote seems to be a Dana Spicer replacement bearing number 210391.

https://www.danaaftermarket.com/spi...partType=PART&utm_campaign=real-time-commerce

Last edited:

erikdsnow

Gotcha, thank you for the information, and for recognizing that.

for a little more context - I was rear ended a couple months ago, and the shop said there was some damage to the carrier bearing.
I'm pretty concerned that they'd swap out the drive components without telling me. I looked through my post accident photos, and the original drive shaft is a larger in diameter than what is now installed. The vehicle drives down the road fine, but I'm worried about the longevity of the parts, etc.

Edit: They fitted a full replacement driveshaft. It is clearly used, and the shop had several donor vans around. But I'm not sure it makes me feel any better about the situation.

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Seems like time to head back to the shop and ask them what happened to your original driveshaft and to make good with the proper length shaft!!!

And preferably an OEM one at that!!!

Keith.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
As an alternative, you could have a longer rear section fabricated by a local shop to accommodate the slightly longer length needed on account of the lift. You could also shim the carrier bearing a bit to lessen the angle. Or you could replace with an OEM driveshaft but then definitely shim out the carrier bearing.

Eric Experience

Erik.
This is clearly a botched up job, to Understand why you have to know that centre bearing has a very important function, as the vehicle accelerates the nose of the diff tends to rise pushing the shaft forward, to accommodate the shaft movement the centre bearing rises in the housing that is why the correct centre bearing has a large diameter and soft mounting to allow this movement, the support bearing used here is for use with a three piece shaft that does not have to move. The other major problem is the shaft is to small to take the torque of a sprinter drive, the cover on the spline is a vital component to keep it clean and lubricated, if the spline rusts or jams up when you go over a bump the shaft can push really hard on the back bearing of the transmission and push the bearing out of the housing causing an oil leak. So you need your original shaft back with the cover and also the correct centre bearing part number. The lenght of spline showing out of the shaft is normal, you need that for for driving with a heavy load on the rear. Another thing to consider is the lift done without adjusting the axle angle will cause vibration at speed. Eric.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The VC lift won't cause vibration as the pinion angle and UJ angles are still acceptable. If you jack the rear up and let the axle hang, there needs to be at least 1" of overlap at the slip. If you have that amount, you are okay.

You must have the boot. Failing to put the boot on is completely unacceptable. I would give the shop a piece of my mind, and expect them to replace the boot. Obviously you would be expected to cover the cost of the boot, but not the labor.

Top Bottom