Can't turn my engine off!

p.j.

Hi there. I'm new around here, and wondered if someone could help with a problem that's just started today.
I've got a '95 308D which normally runs like clockwork. However, when I turn the ignition off, the engine keeps running.. The only way I can stop it is to put it in gear and stall it. I can even take the key out-no difference.
If anyone here's got any ideas they'd be much appreciated! Thanks.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Hi there. I'm new around here, and wondered if someone could help with a problem that's just started today.
I've got a '95 308D which normally runs like clockwork. However, when I turn the ignition off, the engine keeps running.. The only way I can stop it is to put it in gear and stall it. I can even take the key out-no difference.
If anyone here's got any ideas they'd be much appreciated! Thanks.
Is it using a lot of oil?

Cheers
George

tom_LTMS

That will be your stop solenoid then! It is screwed into the injection pump and will have a single wire terminated by a nut on the top of it. It is meant to cut the supply of diesel to kill the engine, hence you now have to stall it to switch off.

p.j.

That will be your stop solenoid then! It is screwed into the injection pump and will have a single wire terminated by a nut on the top of it. It is meant to cut the supply of diesel to kill the engine, hence you now have to stall it to switch off.
Thanks Tom.
That makes sense. I had a quick look earlier and there's loads of wires and tubes and stuff around the pump, and to be honest I've no idea what any of it is! I later spoke to a mechanic who told me the stop mechanism was really complicated and had something to do with the brake servo. . ? Though surely that would affect the brakes, and they're fine.
I'll have a look tomorrow and try to locate the solenoid.

Cheers, Paul.

tom_LTMS

:thinking: The stop mech is more complicated than I remembered on those, sorry. It is a vacuum stop system, so check for splits or lose connections in the vacuum lines, if non are found (and all the lines are sucking!) then you would need a new stop mechanism. Or just keep stalling it. The vacuum pump makes so much vacuum that the brake servo operation would be unaffected by such small loses, and it's not like a petrol where a vacuum leek causes poor running. Sorry I cant explain better, I'm sure someone will come in with a more helpful post soon! :thinking:

surlyoldbill

I suppose the cheap temporary fix would be a valve on the fuel line AFTER the filter that you could shut off. That would shut it down, and you wouldn't have to give it the mechanical shock of stalling it until you find the source of the problem. You really should find the cause, because it could be affecting other systems as well.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I've got a '95 308D which normally runs like clockwork. However, when I turn the ignition off, the engine keeps running....
.....another cause could be the ignition switch itself. Are the rest of the accessories turning on/off normally with key operation?

Last edited:

p.j.

Hey, thanks for all your help guys.
Well, I started exploring the maze of vacuum tubes which seem to run to all kinds of systems and...well, gave up and took it to a garage!
They went thru it and found a leak in a tube going to the heater control. Obvious really, I suppose..
Oh well; it's fixed now.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom