PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing (Canada - The True North)

Jantje
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello
Just wondering about winterizing a Great West Van conversion. Did the plumbing etc. inside, as I did have a travel trailer before and this is not too hard to do.

Now wondering about the Sprinter itself. Not going to use it for 5 months I guess. Can expect temps of -40 (hope not). Keep fingers crossed. :)

Do I have to be aware of anything in particular, Diesel fluids, tires, batteries (3)?
Thanks

Altered Sprinter
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hello
Just wondering about winterizing a Great West Van conversion. Did the plumbing etc. inside, as I did have a travel trailer before and this is not too hard to do.

Now wondering about the Sprinter itself. Not going to use it for 5 months I guess. Can expect temps of -40 (hope not). Keep fingers crossed. :)

Do I have to be aware of anything in particular, Diesel fluids, tires, batteries (3)?
Thanks Upper cylinder lubricants such as red-line 85+
Oil ratings for below -20
Standard Mercedes oils are not suitable-40
Go to a professional battery house, and test temperature rating on your U.S made battery deep cycle have heavier plates and a glass absorbing mat.
purchase a digital dash mounted voltage meter that monitors both start battery and alternator voltage both have two amperage's ratings as the alt builds charge for a glow plug start.
Tires look for a second set Winter snow and mud rated such as Yokohama or as suitable
retain at least minimum 1000kg rating per tire.
Richard

Jantje
05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Hello
Just wondering about winterizing a Great West Van conversion....
Thanks

Just got back from a 2500km trip. (average 18.9 MPG Freightliner 07 - an even mountains and highway driving0

The winterizing consisted of adding Diesel fuel stabilizer from Gunk and disconnecting the battery (under dash by gas pedal) Easy as pie and it started great after 5 month in the deep freeze.
Thanks

djc126
05-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi. Might you be able to have some solar panels inside (facing east) to top off the batteries?

I personally would consider removing batteries and keeping indoors.

Do you put the van in an offsite RV storage place?

I regularly charge up the battery during winter and drive my cargo almost year-round.

Does your van have a block heater installed?

Regards,

Jantje
06-15-2010, 02:09 AM
1. Might you be able to have some solar panels inside (facing east) to top off the batteries?
2. Do you put the van in an offsite RV storage place?
3. Does your van have a block heater installed?

1. Have solar panel from Crappy Tire. only used at campsites where I don't have hook up.
2. Van is stored outside, among many other "bigger" units, that give it some protection.
3. No block heater as I bought an "american" model. Not driving in winter (yet.)

did some checking with a guy who has vintage cars. He recomended only adding diesel conditioner, diconnect battery.

Batteries don't seem to suffer from cold, only if you try to "use" them by cranking in the cold they suffer. (i was told)