T1N Highway Driving

marklg

I've seen some comments here about issues with driving at highway speeds. I've found that my 2006 T1N 2500 with Michelin LT225/75R16 LTX M/S2s is pretty easy to drive on the highway, even up to the governed limit, which is just about 80 MPH with these tires. It makes more noise, but it does not get blown around too much or wander. We only stopped for weather once when a really big storm with 50 MPH crosswinds came by.

Could others share there experiences?

I am not in favor of going faster than 80, but 75 to 80 is the speed limit on many of the southwestern road we travel long distances on.

Regards,

Mark

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
A lot of T1Ns have worn steering racks which results in vague steering. The same goes for worn out shocks/struts and sway bar bushings. Class C RVs are a bit different.

thatchillaxdude

I have LT225/75R16 Bridgestone Dueller LTH that do not look awesome; but they track well, are quiet, and do well on wet surfaces. Give it a couple months, and we'll see how they do in the snow!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

marklg

A lot of T1Ns have worn steering racks which results in vague steering. The same goes for worn out shocks/struts and sway bar bushings. Class C RVs are a bit different.
Mine is a Great West Legend, a fully outfitted Class B with AC, Solar Panels, etc. on the roof and a bike rack in the back. What is different about a Class C in terms of driveability?

I do find that mine pulls to one side or the other depending on the road crown or crosswinds, resulting in a force needed to keep it straight ahead, but it does not feel vague or wander at all. The front end has been checked out with no issues.

Regards,

Mark

doug022984

Sporadic Member Since 2015
Mine doesn't have any problems with squirrely steering or tire noise, but no one has mentioned engine noise. At 80 mph, it's spinning at ~3000 RPM. I just wish it had a taller gear both for noise and gas mileage. I guess I was spoiled with my scandalous Passat TDI with a third pedal that could cruise along at 80 mph and the engine would only be at about 2100 RPM.

hepcat

Just an old guy...
'04 T1N Airstream Interstate B-van here with 111k on it now... I bought it last April with a nearly new set of Yokohama something-or-others on the stock steel wheels on it and with 106k miles. I've found that it's sweet spot for just about everything, fuel economy, noise, handling, side-winds... is an indicated 65mph... about 63mph actual according to GPS. Faster than that and the steering begins to get light and twitchy, side gusts affect it more, and it just isn't very pleasant to drive... but at 65mph indicated... it's just well mannered and quiet. And I never have a need to go faster than that, actually.

sepudo

06 140 2500 just under 200k finished 8k miles CA to Alaska and back.
Rolling on 18" G wagon alloys and discovery AT 3
Supported on fox tuned rears and bilstein HD and sumo bump stops at the front.

Smooth as butter all the way to the limiter 85-87 mph.

I found what works for me is regular tire balance and rotation to maintain smooth steering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My driving experience is similar to hepcat's above. 2004 140" cargo with 2nd row bench and windows.

Wind noise is my only issue, but mostly around the doors, and not until I'm above 70 mph. I added a second weather seal to the A-pillars this past spring that fixed an air leak at the top corners, but otherwise I'm good. If I'm driving all day I'll pop in my Active Noise Cancelling ear buds, but that's a "belt 7 suspenders" thing...

-dave

Larry M

...Could others share there experiences?

I am not in favor of going faster than 80, but 75 to 80 is the speed limit on many of the southwestern road we travel long distances on.

Regards,

Mark
I don’t feel the need to go any faster and have even slowed it down. We just finished a 26 state, 5 Canadian Province, 14.5K trip. I set the cruise at 70-75mph by the speedo (~5 less actual) on the highways. Fuel economy went up, no surprise there but that’s just a side benefit. I find I’m not as stressed at the end of the day and music sounds better. :rad:

sepudo

It's easy to understand if you travel throughout the US.

Various parts of inland western states have a speed limit of 70mph or higher with several people slightly exceeding that (which is the norm)...

Staying at around 60-65mph would actually create a dangerous situation for that person as they would constantly be overtaken by everyone else...

B

billintomahawk

It's easy to understand if you travel throughout the US.

Various parts of inland western states have a speed limit of 70mph or higher with several people slightly exceeding that (which is the norm)...

Staying at around 60-65mph would actually create a dangerous situation for that person as they would constantly be overtaken by everyone else...

I don't believe I have the right to endanger other drivers with my aging vehicle so I slow down and stay to the right in the slow lane.

I would not want to live my life knowing that I hurt others with careless use of my Sprinter.

I run my motorcycle at 75-80 mph to avoid being hit from behind. Speed has its place.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Helmach

I recently parted out a rolled T1N camper conversion. It was terrifying. The roof was flattened like a pancake all the way to the headrest which was severely distorted. These vans roll easily compared to modern cars. If you have to make an evasive maneuver, you are in trouble. Keep it slow so you have more time to react....

micha

I don’t feel the need to go any faster and have even slowed it down. We just finished a 26 state, 5 Canadian Province, 14.5K trip. I set the cruise at 70-75mph by the speedo (~5 less actual) on the highways. Fuel economy went up, no surprise there but that’s just a side benefit. I find I’m not as stressed at the end of the day and music sounds better. :rad:
yes,, back off a bit, it's amazing how less stressful it can be on... heart and mind,,, but also mechanical parts and wallet. ....an important metaphor for... life!!! <;~]

glasseye

Sixty mph is my preferred cruise velocity. A mile-a-minute makes it easy to calculate times and distances. 100kph (62mph) works the same way. Something that's 186 km away is 1.8 hours.

You see more stuff, you burn less fuel, it's quieter, easier on the hardware and you arrive less stressed.

Lightly laden, Frito steers at highway speeds as well as any other vehicle I've driven. My steering rack has seen very little abuse. Michelin tires at 40 psi on all four corners.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
06 140 2500 just under 200k finished 8k miles CA to Alaska and back.
Rolling on 18" G wagon alloys and discovery AT 3
Supported on fox tuned rears and bilstein HD and sumo bump stops at the front.

Smooth as butter all the way to the limiter 85-87 mph.

I found what works for me is regular tire balance and rotation to maintain smooth steering.

Van looks pretty good sitting on those wheels. Do you have the VanCompass lift?

Top Bottom