Mercedes Wide Angle Mirror add on,...which is left and which is right?

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I ordered a pair of the Mercedes wide angle mirrors. Parts number B66560397 snf B66560398.

I pulled them out of their boxes this morning to install them,....then noticed that they were asymmetrical for specific left and right fitment,....but either one COULD fit on either side AND there are no part numbers on the mirrors themselves.

I have looked at a dozen images and web pages for the part numbers, but have noticed that some pages have photos of the same mirror for both left and right sides. Crap!

Anyone have these on your van and if so, can you tell me are they installed with the thicker portion of the mirror inboard which angles the mirror housing more outward in relation to the stock mirror below, OR,....is the thicker/wider part of the mirror outboard which would angle the wide angle mirror housing inward more than the stock mirror below it?

If you have these mirrors, could you look at your and advise. I was hoping to install them this morning.

Brian

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
And.....DONE. Thanks for the input and pics guys. Not a bad job. About a 45 minute job.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I sit quite tall in my seat, and with the plastic-armed main mirrors I find that these top mirrors are often obscured by the A-pillars... pulling the mirror housing aft helps, but the main slab then doesn’t have enough “out” travel to aim effectively...
As much as I love them, it’s pretty obvious that these pods were add-ons!

-dave

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I sit quite tall in my seat, and with the plastic-armed main mirrors I find that these top mirrors are often obscured by the A-pillars... pulling the mirror housing aft helps, but the main slab then doesn’t have enough “out” travel to aim effectively...

-dave
Yes,...I noticed on my first drive with the new mirrors that I only see a portion of the right side mirror. as the door frame cuts my view in half diagonally from the lower left corner to the upper right corner,....had I known this,....I might not have spent the $150 on them.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I *think* the "UPS" version of the mirror assembly (arms,mirrors) put the parabolics on the bottom.
It is (or was) also possible (3rd party?) to get a mildly parabolic glass replacement for the main mirror.

(there was a recent photo of the "parabolic below" arrangement posted to the group recently. If i fall over it again, i'll put it here)

--dick

Skippy and Emu

I noticed when fitting mine, that the install instructions did mention the fact that part of the top of the mirror would be obscured by the A pillar. Was pleasantly surprised that only about 10% of the mirror was obscured.
For me, I think this works out, because I drive with my seat, as far back as it will go. I am not tall, but find it comfortable, and prefer to travel , as far away from the pointy end of the vehicle as possible.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
For the uninitiated, my right view...

-dave
The big difference to my left view (I'm in UK so RHD) is that I have long arm mirrors to clear my MH body, this means I lose less view than you with short arms!

Keith.

PS And I wouldn't be without them! Had too many close calls with cars in my huge blindspots before, not now. And my OH likes them as she can see behind from the passenger seat as well, added bonus.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

-dave
Dave, if you pull the mirror back, will it stay where you put it since there is not a detent there?

Brian

Nautamaran

Friction holds mine wherever I put it. There is little advantage to pulling it further back though, since the pod remains obscured and the convex mirror doesn’t adjust and rapidly loses its outer field of view (which is kinda the point...). If you look closely you can see the scars from my cobbling this mirror together from two donor mirrors, and I did take advantage of having it apart and adjusted the friction in the mounting bolts (my mirror had a broken shell where the pod had been knocked off, the donor had broken arms... together they made one good mirror with a pod on top :rad:)

-dave

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Same. Below is covered by the door mostly. But the cool part is that they are one-way mirrors. You could put a camera behind the mirror. There is even attachment for one if you pop off the mirror.
Thus an idea. Use the air motion of travel to run a small electric generator to supply the camera and wireless transmitter.

SkyGypsy

Look at the guys with the pics above. They have the steel bar style side view mirrors. Those mirrors can be moved around so that the mirrors are then placed in the little triangle window in full view.

Nautamaran

True. My plastic-armed mirrors are a fixed angle, which puts them at a disadvantage compared to those with the dual-pivot tube-frames.

-dave

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
My long arm mirrors only stay in one or other of two 'detent' positions. I cannot leave them at any angle I want, they jump to the nearest detent.

There is a very small amount of adjustment of the actual mirror housing on the arm, pop out the small shaped cover on the front of the mirror and you will find the fastening holding the casing to the arm (can't remember what it is off hand). Loosen this fixing and you can adjust the angle of the casing a small amount.

Keith.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
What did you use for hardware on the "Top Pod" ?
I bought my top mirrors directly from my local MB dealer and they came with the necessary screws and fixing instructions.

The top housing has two brass threaded inserts moulded into its lower face and you drill holes in the top of the main mirror to line up with these then screw the two small screws up into the new top mirror.
1654811290588.png
Page 558 of this parts manual http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006SprinterPartsCatalog.pdf

Top Bottom