Catalytic Converter and other stuff

lockitupinc

I have a 2005 with about 220,000 miles. It's my work van. I am the one and only owner. I've been wondering if the catalytic converter ever needs to be replaced? Is there a recommended interval? Will it throw codes if it's clogged?

I ask because lately, my mileage has gone down. I remember a friend who had a 2004 stating that he went through two turbos before someone told him the converter was clogged, causing the problem. I have no idea if that's accurate.

I've wondered about the converter for quite a long time. I also need to replace the steering angle sensor as it has failed. It's been reset several times but always fails fairly promptly. I've just been too busy to order it and get it installed. Any idea if that could be my issue? The two seem to be fairly close to each other timing wise. Thanks.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Have you tried scanning the ECU recently? Is the CEL Illuminated?

It would make sense that a faulty steering sensor would put the van in limp mode, but with only 220K, I’d doubt that the catalytic converter is the issue. A cracked turbo resonator or some other leak in the induction system would be my guess as to a more likely source of power loss/reduced fuel efficiency

lockitupinc

Have you tried scanning the ECU recently? Is the CEL Illuminated?

It would make sense that a faulty steering sensor would put the van in limp mode, but with only 220K, I’d doubt that the catalytic converter is the issue. A cracked turbo resonator or some other leak in the induction system would be my guess as to a more likely source of power loss/reduced fuel efficiency
It has not been scanned since the steering sensor was last reset (about a month). It does make sense that the sensor failure could be changing the engine settings though I guess. The resonator has been replaced with a billet aluminum one so cracking shouldn't be an issue ever. I guess I just need to bite the bullet, and order the sensor and get it done. I never really thought that sensor would/could effect the truck that much, but it makes sense.

I will also get in there and check all the connections. I read somewhere that a dirty air filter will do that too. I do change them regularly, but I've noticed that they can get very dirty, very quickly. I haven't checked that yet.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw over fueling injectors are a cause for higher mileage/subsequent engine failure. I can’t remember exactly what odometer mileage the General consensus is for checking them is, but the bypass test is pretty simple and would let you know if 1 or more injectors is going south/time to pull them for a rebuild.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
A clogged air filter certainly would cause reduced fuel economy. Replacing that steering sensor, which will only get more faulty over time would be my first priority. Definitely take care of it before winter as it’ll most likely make the abs and stability control systems freak out in icy conditions

I have a 2005 with about 220,000 miles. It's my work van. I am the one and only owner. I've been wondering if the catalytic converter ever needs to be replaced? Is there a recommended interval? ...
I don't believe that there is a recommended interval. Service life can be dependent on engine use and engine running condition.

Recently I removed my rusted to nothin' OEM muffler and separated the cat converters assembly to fit a glasspak muffler. Visual inspection showed the honeycomb as being clear and not scaled over. Tapping the converters over cardboard had some gray sand like particles drop out. Not a bunch of that though. That is a 2004 with maybe 328,000 miles at the time. It seems to run fine with similar mpg when compared to my 2006 with 180k miles.

To my knowledge, Ciprian's 2005 truck used for expediter service with 770,000 miles still has the original cat assembly.

Will it throw codes if it's clogged? ...
My recollection of threads indicating catalytic converter replacements is that there are no specific DTC's. That can depend upon the failure mode.

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I would suspect injector or intake issues for the cat converter. You can drop the exhaust downpipe off the turbo, and put an inspection camera down there pretty easily.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I just happened to be in my 2005's service book ... the CAT converter is NOT a "scheduled" maintenance item.
(at least not for the first 1,000,000 miles)

--dick

Top Bottom