how much paint?

quillaja

2004 2500 140WB high roof
I'm going to roll-on Monstaliner and repaint the complete exterior of my 2004 140wb high roof van. The only windows are driver/passenger doors and windshield. I'd like to do 1 coat over everything, and perhaps 2 coats on the lower half and hood for additional rock chip protection.

I'm thinking 3 gallons might be enough. Maybe 4.

Any thoughts on quantity?

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
It took 1 1/4 gallons of Herculiner to cover the roof of my 140 low roof and another gallon and a half to get satisfactory coverage of my rocker panels and bumpers. You might want to figure out your square footage and check that against the coverage for the product

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If the base and liner colors aren't close, you will need at least 4, likely 5. I wouldn't roll it. Spray is the only way for a sprinter.

quillaja

Ah, didn't think about color hiding. However, I'm doing white over white, so not a big issue. Mostly the repaint is cosmetic, to cover up numerous little rock chip spots on the side, and then cover larger repaired rust spots near the bottom.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I used ~6 gallons, with about half a gallon left. I should have used the last half though. That was 1 medium and two light coats via spray gun. It was thinned 25% or so with MEK. There are some details in my build thread.

quillaja

Great work on your van Midwestdrifter. I'm pretty much stuck doing this in my driveway, so I don't think spraying is really practical for me. I was planning to paint the roof in a go, then I can work on the sides and make a sort of 'booth' by draping a large plastic sheet over the van and held away from the work side by a wooden beam. I'll take the doors off to repair rust and paint.

RedLens

I am curious about this myself, I just received a 4 gallon kit. 2 other Sprinter owners have told me 2.5-3 galls to cover theirs, both were rolled on. What color are you going? I ordered Get Hammered but just saw they are releasing 24 new colors in September.

quillaja

I'm doing white. Even though I'm planning to paint inside the doors and stuff, since it'll be white over white, it won't stick out if I miss a spot on the inside.

I just called Magnet Paints (the monstaliner company). They told me 4 gals immediately. (Of course I could have called days ago, but I really really really hate talking on the phone.)

Last edited:

RedLens

I just rolled mine. 4 gallons, every drop used. I changed the color and definitely shows through in spots. 5 gallons is definitely a good call if changing colors. 4 probably fine for same color. Not sure how anyone has done their van in 3 gallons. For the love of god spray. We worked for 14 hours.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Wow rolling uses so much paint. My140 high roof used less than a gallon urethane paint + thinner when i sprayed it. Matching color though.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Urethane paints can be rolled on very thin with the right technique. The key is to use a very low pile roller head.

I used to apply International’s Interthane series 2-part marine paint from a kit. It was applied with a low pile roller, then “tipped off” each rolled patch with a damp solvent resistant foam brush to just break the bubbles left by the roller. That paint was water thin, so you ended up with just 3-5 mills of wet film, and a gallon would paint a 30 foot sailboat.

I just looked them up (first time in decades) and they still offer high gloss products that can be rolled/tipped.
(just as a data point - this stuff isn’t cheap!)
Interthane 990 HS
525 sq ft per US gallon @ 3 mills wet film thickness.
2 hour touch dry @ 77’F

-dave

Top Bottom