Soot: Is this normal?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So I was working underneath the vehicle today taking some picures. Then I see this...

IMGP0026.JPG

I guess I wouldn't see it if I didn't have a hitch mounted so close to the tail pipe, but what causes it and is there a way to clean it up besides getting rid of the hitch or rerouting the pipe? I suppose this is normal seeing that the pipe is full of the stuff.

Thanks,
Seek

talkinghorse43

This means you sometimes have soot coming out of your engine. I know I do too - I can see soot in the lights of the vehicles following me when I hit the accelerator on my '02 and rpms get near and above 3k. Since the soot is very fine and the exhaust is hot, the soot will be driven to and stick to any cooler surface the exhaust flow encounters.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That's normal your exhaust from the photo seems to have a slight variation as to where mine is, but it also has the same effect and that's after 34 thousand Ks just a Tad more build up on the tip of the exhaust lip, thanks I had to wash my finger after that, it stuck like:censored:
The exhaust emission on the old Sprinter soot has a higher and courser particle exhaust source of atmospheric contaminants, the new Sprinter of the new generation has the particle exhaust system reducing the carbon emissions to a lower degree, with Blutec the emissions will reduce to below 02.5.00 particles p/m
The new Sprinter now has an exhaust tip at the end of the body, not a good idea as to soot blow back up the back door, and it's hard to get of paintwork too. I know from the old MB 100 and traces of this gunk showing up on the new sprinter based in Melbourne, I asked the lads to get a downward exhaust extension to send that back into the ground rather than the stock exhaust tip that has a horizontal tip.
Richard
Picture 141 (Large).jpg

Attachments

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Yes, it is totally normal!

I guess I wouldn't see it if I didn't have a hitch mounted so close to the tail pipe, but what causes it and is there a way to clean it up besides getting rid of the hitch or rerouting the pipe?....
Well, you could go under there with a sponge and clean it off periodically:smilewink: . Your neighbors may think you are:crazy: insane but...alternatively you could install a gas engine :smirk: .

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
TRAITOR:D
Just a quick note the difference between the old sprinter and the new Sprinter there is almost the same amount of soot residue between the two
with the new particle filter.
must be an orphan year for 2007 on exhaust emissions.
Richard

Old Master

I haven't seen any soot anywhere. :rant: Dang...I guess I'll have to spray a little flat black paint around my exhaust so I'll feel "normal." :lol:

G'day Richard!

John

Top Bottom