fan clutch problem?

crockej

2005, 2500, 144
I've searched for how to check to see if your fan clutch is bad and haven't seen my issue.

The clutch is very stiff when cold and stays stiff as it heats up (I stopped and checked it as the temps increased). It's never smooth when I turn the fan by hand and even sticks so that I have to pull on it harder to turn it. Also, you can always hear the fan going full blast as you accelerate from the stop sign (whether it's cold, warm or hot).

Does this sound normal? Van has 80K on it.

RJV

I've searched for how to check to see if your fan clutch is bad and haven't seen my issue.

The clutch is very stiff when cold and stays stiff as it heats up (I stopped and checked it as the temps increased). It's never smooth when I turn the fan by hand and even sticks so that I have to pull on it harder to turn it. Also, you can always hear the fan going full blast as you accelerate from the stop sign (whether it's cold, warm or hot).

Does this sound normal? Van has 80K on it.
I believe the general consensus is that the fan usually kicks on when the engine temp on the dash reads about 205*. There have been other members reporting their fans failing into the "always on" mode, which is a better problem to have than "never on". I believe those reporting that symptom had said it "sounds like a freight train". There is supposed to be some resistance when you spin the blade by hand, in fact a blade that spins freely by hand is a sign of clutch failure. But if yours is failing in the always on mode, I would imagine you would get resistance when spinning by hand.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I’ve had one fail at 60K and 12 years. It shouldn’t run all the time, only over 210-215F.

Gary

crockej

2005, 2500, 144
Took it out and confirmed that either the bearing or internals were keeping it from rotating. New one is on its way. Thanks for the quick responses.

Top Bottom