EGR Valve 2017 4x4

SOLBRTs

12,000 miles on my van, I’ve had it for a year and a couple of months. Headed out in my first cross country trip next week. Haven’t hit mileage but I’ve hit time so tomorrow is my 1st scheduled service. Other than a the green Loctite drive shaft repair and a sliding door adjust van has been fine. Leaving the office, turn right at the first stop sign start to accelerate and WHAM! the van shudders hard like I’ve hit something or been hit but I know I visually cleared the intersection (yes, including the bike lane and its always law-abiding and righteous escooter and bicycle occupants - it’s a tight turn so I pay extra attention). What the hell? Make an immediate turn to come back around and see what’s up. As I begin to accelerate WHAM! again, massive shudder. Stop check the intersection. All clear. Head back to the office and WHAM! again. What the hell?!

Wait a minute....I remember this feeling from my 2011. It’s got to be the EGR valve. (Really?! Again?! 8 years and 2 vans later?!)

Next day make my run down to MB and run through it with the service advisor. He suspects same. Technician pulls codes, test drives and is able to replicate the symptom (luckily). Sure enough, EGR valve. As per the advisor, valve will be replaced and the warranty on it will run till 2029 (original 10 year emissions system warranty).

Unapologetic shout out to MB Wilsonville, OR. Not only did the service advisor listen to me when I explained the symptom and suggested a potential diagnosis, he was willing to believe and he is making the effort to make sure I can be on the road on time. As someone who has run service at the dealer level and warranty at the manufacturer level, I know that the positive interaction I had with the service advisor made a positive outcome possible.

[tl;dr It seems there may be a few bad EGR valves out there, possibly with slightly under spec return springs and MB is replacing them as necessary]

I'm sorry you had an EGR valve problem at only 12,000 miles.

I'm glad that it all worked out okay for you. :thumbup:

But with your experience, you know that the service consultant should not be suggesting potential diagnosis. He documents the customer's Complaint as accurately as possible, and forwards the R.O..

I liked your comment about the escooter and bicycle occupants. Those members of this forum that have never spent time in the Portland area and have never had to deal with the green boxes and the people who occupy them, might not understand your humor...but I do. :laughing:

Top Bottom