PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Espar Muffler

marklg
07-19-2019, 03:55 AM
Is this an Espar muffler I didn't know I had?

What would the rest look and function like? On this one I am clueless.

Regards,

Mark

rollerbearing
07-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Yes it is.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/T1N_Sprinter_Espar-aux-heater-manual1.pdf

marklg
07-19-2019, 04:53 AM
Of course it isn't very useful now when it is 100F, but I'll check it out.

Regards,

Mark

sprinterdiscovery
07-19-2019, 05:00 AM
When it's colder, make sure you have an exhaust extension near to the side of the van. Right now the gases will linger underneath your van.

Nautamaran
07-19-2019, 06:49 AM
The Espar is mounted behind the driver’s side head lamp pod. Be aware that the boost heater shares its coolant loop with the EGR valve and so sees full engine temperature - unless the electric circulation pump (below the brake booster) fails.
-dave

autostaretx
07-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Pick up your datacard at https://www.datamb.com/

... it lists the options built into your Sprinter by MB.

The word "Espar" won't appear, but pretty much all US/Canada-delivered Sprinters had one
(they came in 3 flavors: "boost heater", "Auxiliary heater" and "Auxiliary heater with 7-day timer")
All of the heater parts (furnaces?) are pretty much the same, the only differences are the controlling logic and what buttons are provided on the dashboard.

Boost: only operates when engine is running
Auxiliary: can be turned on for two hours
Aux with Timer: can be programmed to start before you scrape yourself out of the door on cold mornings.

Your owners manual covers the 3 flavors (all 3 can perform as "Boost").
Owners manual are here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/

--dick
(my usual description for where they're located is "under the starting battery")

marklg
07-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Data card says Heater Booster. I live in the AZ desert, so not super useful here. I have seen discussions about extending the glycol line to heat tanks, heat exchanger for the cabin, etc. I will look into it since 75% of it is there already. I also found the thread to rewire it so it can be on all the time.

Maybe we can consider visiting cold areas. It came from the upper peninsula of MI, so it had antifreeze in the tanks when I got it. Rather not go that route. It was a PITA to flush then sanitize with bleach to get good smelling water again.

Regards,

Mark

RJV
07-20-2019, 12:03 AM
The good news is that if you do want to visit colder climates and install a "parking" heater(Espar, Webasto, Planar, etc) you'll have an easier time installing it as you can T into the fuel line running to the booster heater and won't need to drop the tank.

Bobnoxious
07-20-2019, 12:24 AM
Can't tell, is a nut missing?

marklg
07-20-2019, 03:43 AM

I will look.

Thanks for spotting it.

Mark

Cheyenne
07-20-2019, 09:49 AM

I will look.

Thanks for spotting it.

Mark

No!

It is the mounting point for the European engine undertray. (Not fitted to NAS Sprinters).

Keith.

Cheyenne
07-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Here you go, photos of a Euro engine undertray...

Keith.