PDA

View Full Version : "Parts" van. Resurrect it or part it out?

ions82
07-19-2019, 01:57 AM
I love the 2004 I picked up. It needs minor work, but I think it'll be a great long-term investment. I've also stumbled across a 2006 that is being sold as a "parts" van. It's a one-owner with around 200K on it. It was purchased for a family business, and the uncle had blown the motor somewhere around 100K. That was replaced, and another 100K was clicked before the transmisson gave up the ghost (TC grenade). The owner said it ran great up until that point.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it might be worth trying to put it back in service. Has anyone rebuilt a NAG1?
Considering the van had catastrophic failure at 100 and 200K, I surmise it was being horse-whipped for much of its life. So, maybe it should be put out to pasture and poached as necessary. It has some body rust, but I haven't seen it in person to see how the lower parts look. It could very well be pretty ugly. I've purchased more than one vehicle that was neglected and abused, and I was able to give them a new lease on life. However, being so new to the Sprinter world, I don't know if that's a good idea. If I were to take it apart, I'd be after the wheels/tires, rear axle, passenger seat, cruise control, instrument cluster, and ECU (my 2004 still suffers from the T21 recall). I'd like to take the motor, too. However, I'm not sure if I'd want to have an extra motor lying around "just in case." Does anyone happen to need a motor? :hmmm:

The Grand Tour
07-19-2019, 02:03 AM
No Sprinter is an "investment". They all depreciate.

Under most circumstances, vehicles are worth more in parts than they are as a whole, but a lot of that has to do with your ability to buy a vehicle at the right price, and sell the parts for the right prices.

ADudeOnSkis
07-19-2019, 06:02 AM
If you buy it and part it out I have a few things I may be looking for.

Midwestdrifter
07-19-2019, 11:55 AM
I am in the process of rebuilding a NAG1. There is another DIY rebuild thread over in the T1N section. Its not very technically challenging, but requires absolute cleanliness. There is a good manual available as well. Assuming it was just the TC that blew up, the trans may just need a cleaning, new seals, and replacement of parts worn on condition. Plus a new TC of course.

ions82
07-19-2019, 03:59 PM
I am in the process of rebuilding a NAG1. There is another DIY rebuild thread over in the T1N section. Its not very technically challenging, but requires absolute cleanliness. There is a good manual available as well. Assuming it was just the TC that blew up, the trans may just need a cleaning, new seals, and replacement of parts worn on condition. Plus a new TC of course.

The gentleman who owns the van said that he did a little homework and found that internal replacement parts would be very costly. I like the idea of the technical challenge of rebuilding a transmission, but I wouldn't want to be in over my head or bite off more than I can chew. I will look for the rebuild thread(s). I didn't see any in an initial search.

Also, is it possible to swap electronic parts from one van to another? Would I be able to use the instrument cluster, cruise unit, and ECU in my van? My old FedEx van has a governor and no cruise. Being able to poach those would be helpful.

Nautamaran
07-19-2019, 04:24 PM
The TCM needs to know the diff ratio for its speed calculations.
ECM and SKREEM are tied to RKE and sentry keys.
IC firmware has a few revisions through the years.

If you move them as a set (IC, SKREEM, ECM) I think you’re okay?
You’d lose injector coding and fuel trim validity in the ECM, but other harness items are same.
The TCM adaptations would need to be reset.
Nothing that couldn’t be done with a dealer-level scanner?

-dave

ions82
07-19-2019, 04:33 PM
The TCM needs to know the diff ratio for its speed calculations.
ECM and SKREEM are tied to RKE and sentry keys.
IC firmware has a few revisions through the years.

If you move them as a set (IC, SKREEM, ECM) I think you’re okay?
You’d lose injector coding and fuel trim validity in the ECM, but other harness items are same.
The TCM adaptations would need to be reset.
Nothing that couldn’t be done with a dealer-level scanner?

-dave

Thanks, Dave! That is the kind of info which makes this forum so incredibly helpful. Valuable knowledge and wizardry being shared freely. My friend has a C3 scanner (clone from China), but I may have to break down and get one for myself. He said his has been a bear to work with. Others have said they aren't bad at all.
I'll now go look up all those acronyms in the database :laughing:

Midwestdrifter
07-19-2019, 06:18 PM
The SKREEM and ECU are a matched set with the chip inside each key. If you have remote entry thats also matched. They should be moved as a set.

Assuming its just the TC that blew up, the internals of the trans could be just fine.

Replacement parts can be expensive. But if you are okay with a slightly lighter trans, you can use the lower clutch plate packs from just about any later NAG1. These can be found for 200-200$ used from auto recyclers. It takes about an hour to tear one down. Used good parts can be found on ebay as well.