2008 Codes for boost, intake manifold and dpf

Vonvendetta

I did a recent scan and a few codes came up using bluedriver.

P2007 - intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank 2

P0299 - active/MIL - turbocharger "a" underboost condition

P242F - particulate filter restriction - Ash accumulation bank 1.

After reading through the forums, it sounds like all three might be related to the intake manifold. Leaning towards crud buildup that's causing both the other issues.

Could anyone give me advice on addressing these before I go pulling everything apart?
2008 280k miles.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Vonvendetta

I did find this in another post, probably not going to be that easy.

"1 occurance were the ground on the left fender was faulty . This of course set off a chain of actutor codes for , the swirl port actuator and the EGR valve , and the Turbo regulator are all on the same ground circuit."

Only thing is I'm not seeing a EGR code.

manwithgun

Unknown member
You are at the year and milage where the intakes become a problem. Sometimes the actuator will go bad but most often the swirl valves in the intakes need attention. Your fault is only pointing out one side (bank 2) so there's a slight chance that the proximity (position) sensor/signal is the issue since both sides are linked together and move in tandem. The linkage between the actuator and valves should also be check. But congested intakes is likely the root cause. They're around $700 per side, with the right side including the actuator.
https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=1975

If you are savvy and frugal, the intakes can be cleaned and reused once removed, only needing to replace gaskets and possibly actuator linkages. While in there, the oil cooler should be replaced (new) with updated gaskets, but this procedure must be executed with knowhow and caution to avoid terminal engine failure.

You've got a lot more diagnosing and homework to do. Use Google to search the site rather than the built in "search" feature on the site. Good Luck.

Vonvendetta

You are at the year and milage where the intakes become a problem. Sometimes the actuator will go bad but most often the swirl valves in the intakes need attention. Your fault is only pointing out one side (bank 2) so there's a slight chance that the proximity (position) sensor/signal is the issue since both sides are linked together and move in tandem. The linkage between the actuator and valves should also be check. But congested intakes is likely the root cause. They're around $700 per side, with the right side including the actuator.

https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=1975

If you are savvy and frugal, the intakes can be cleaned and reused once removed, only needing to replace gaskets and possibly actuator linkages. While in there, the oil cooler should be replaced (new) with updated gaskets, but this procedure must be executed with knowhow and caution to avoid terminal engine failure.

You've got a lot more diagnosing and homework to do. Use Google to search the site rather than the built in "search" feature on the site. Good Luck.
This is awesome info.

As the van isn't a daily, I could take a few weekends to tackle the project, sounds like a whole day to get the manifold off. You mention buying new - If they are gunked up, couldn't they be cleaned and change the plastic with metal connecting rods. What makes it have to be replaced.

Clean the EGR and check turbo seals. It sounds like it might be anywhere from a $150-1500 repair depending on what needs to be done when I get in there. Anything else worth checking?

Others also suggested the GDE tune. I'd prefer a fix that would give me another 200k miles.

Lastly, outside of the shop manual, there has to be a good guide but can't find one. Any suggestions?

The problem with the GDE tune, is that it's a federal criminal offense to use it on public roads, and as we recently discussed, the potential penalties are life-changing.

Vonvendetta

The problem with the GDE tune, is that it's a federal criminal offense to use it on public roads, and as we recently discussed, the potential penalties are life-changing.
Makes sense as to why it's always a long discussion.

Symptoms other than a light, it's a bit sluggish and before I hit the road hard next year I want to be ready and give myself enough time to fix what I can.

turbo911

read manwithgun post. this is not an easy nor cheap fix. it can be done frugally with mechanical know howfor about $1500 other wise $2500-3000

manwithgun

Unknown member
This is awesome info.

As the van isn't a daily, I could take a few weekends to tackle the project, sounds like a whole day to get the manifold off. You mention buying new - If they are gunked up, couldn't they be cleaned and change the plastic with metal connecting rods. What makes it have to be replaced.
lk
“NEW” was specifically referring to the oil cooler along with new updated seals. The intakes can be cleaned and reused once freed up.

I can think of other life changing events, like being stuck going 20 mph in limp mode when everybody else wants to go 70, leading to unsafe passing and somebody getting killed. Or the time an FAA certified mechanic improperly assembled the carburetor on a friend's airplane engine. The friend chose to fix it himself, a federal offense, rather than risk his life on the mechanic again. I for one am tired of reading your self righteous comments in multiple threads. Your opinion is well known, give it a rest!

I can think of other life changing events, like being stuck going 20 mph in limp mode when everybody else wants to go 70, leading to unsafe passing and somebody getting killed. Or the time an FAA certified mechanic improperly assembled the carburetor on a friend's airplane engine. The friend chose to fix it himself, a federal offense, rather than risk his life on the mechanic again. I for one am tired of reading your self righteous comments in multiple threads. Your opinion is well known, give it a rest!
The internet is like "the information buffet". If you see something you like, you are free to partake of it. If you see something you don't like, you are free not to partake of it. But you don't get to dictate the menu. :thumbup:

Some people just have a lot of time on their hands during the summer. I'm sure things will settle down some when school starts back up. :smilewink:

Originally Posted by pussywillow1
Whenever you mount a personal attack like this, veiled as it is, it gives the impression that your main purpose is fighting for the sake of fighting, demonstrating your superiority, or something similar. You are claiming that a user of GDE is committing a federal criminal offense. You have claimed that it could lead to vehicle confiscation and possibly being sent to federal prison.
(claims made here: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74032&page=3

Emissions violation penalties are specified in Section 205(a) of 42USC 7524(a). It is explicitly defined as a CIVIL, not criminal violation. The only specified penalty is a fine, with a 2019 inflation adjusted amount of $4,735 per violation for a vehicle owner (as opposed to a manufacturer). I'm not clear if using GDE would trigger more than one fine, but it's perfectly clear that there's no criminal violation, confiscation, crushing, or prison time.

Please post the references to back up your claims. If I am incorrect on this, I will readily acknowledge it. My purpose is nothing more than correct information.

turbo911

thank you tigerwillow, i to am tired of this self righteous p----. i have seen to many posts starting with good info to be interrupted and turn into rants by this guy. everybody who sells tune gives you a disclaimer before you buy. i assume the purchaser knows what to do next

Top Bottom