PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle years

Gabe Athouse
07-18-2019, 03:32 AM
Is there any difference between rear axles though the years of t1n? specifically 3500? Not sure if early ones had ABS

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Is there any difference between rear axles though the years of t1n? specifically 3500? Not sure if early ones had ABS
I believe that all NAS aka NFTA Sprinters have ABS. ESP was an option until 2004. After that ESP was provided on all NAS models.

But ABS and ESP are related to the brake system. The rear axle assembly is basically unaffected. Some 3500 models had a rear brake proportioning valve mechanical assembly. Later models had proportioning controlled within the ESP system.

One fairly easy way to determine whether there are any significant changes is to look up some parts and see if there is any breakdown of model year or VIN ranges. Pinion, ring gear, axle 1/2 shaft, etc.

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter
07-18-2019, 01:21 PM
All 3500 axles are physically interchangeable as far as I know. There may be differences in the springs depending on body length. All have the same wheel speed sensors.

There may be 2 different caliper MFGs, but they use the same attachments.

autostaretx
07-18-2019, 06:44 PM
2002 parts catalog: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/02va-parts%20manual.pdf
2006 parts catalog: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/06va-parts%20manual.pdf

"Compare and contrast"

--dick

Gabe Athouse
07-19-2019, 02:13 AM
Thanks gents. I have a line on one for my van. My housing is a little bent.

GaryJ
07-19-2019, 03:00 AM
All 3500 axles are physically interchangeable as far as I know. There may be differences in the springs depending on body length. All have the same wheel speed sensors.

There may be 2 different caliper MFGs, but they use the same attachments.

Also there was more than one axle ratio.

Gary

Midwestdrifter
07-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Also there was more than one axle ratio.

Gary

Hence the physically interchangeable statement. They will all bolt on, but the modules must match the configuration. Gabe knows this though, from a previous thread. I probably should have included that caveat for other readers.