PDA

View Full Version : How long will this roadside repair last?

Patrick of M
07-16-2019, 03:23 PM
I ordered a resonator (should of had a spare with me) but the travels continue. I was loosing boost and surging on climbs so was not surprised to find it cracked. 3 layers of metal tape....3 minute, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks.....

vanski
07-16-2019, 04:27 PM
?? if you jb weld the seam it'll be a permanent fix and you can return the other one and spend that installation time kicking back and sipping a cold one

Aqua Puttana
07-16-2019, 04:56 PM
... ls continue. I was loosing boost and surging on climbs so was not surprised to find it cracked. 3 layers of metal tape....3 minute, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks.....
:idunno:

The problem I see is that the pressure will work the adhesive loose. Maybe wrap some wire around the tape to help hold the seal? Or daisy chain worm drive clamps around to contact the area of the failure?

I agree that JB Weld will work. Even though it isn't designated for plastic repair, if the application area is roughed up and clean the epoxy should stick. It isn't mega-pressure. 22 psi or so max. JB Weld should take the temperature. Some other epoxies not so much.

Good luck.

:cheers: vic

Patrick of M
07-16-2019, 05:29 PM
All I had was the metal tape with me. Iíll pick up some jb weld if it letís go again. The metal tape has a fairly high working temperature, Iím interested in whether it actually holds.

Bobnoxious
07-16-2019, 06:22 PM
I have heard some people call similar aluminum tape, 100 MPH tape. Told by a wingnut, under some circumstances, can be used to cover bullet holes in combat aircraft. Dunno, was he BSing???

Extreme heat may soften the adhesive or it will eventually dry it out and fail. I know it does on residential HVAC ducting.

Midwestdrifter
07-16-2019, 07:25 PM
If thats aerospace grade stuff (speed tape we call it), I would give it at least a few hours. Eventually the 200lbs on that seam will cause it to work loose.

In a pinch, you can run a couple screws through the seam at an angle. Pre drill and blow out the swarf.

Aqua Puttana
07-16-2019, 08:09 PM
If you have a destination address the part might be waiting for you upon arrival.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-303-Turbo-Vibration-Dampener/dp/B002E323DS

Patrick of M
07-17-2019, 12:24 AM
If you have a destination address the part might be waiting for you upon arrival.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-303-Turbo-Vibration-Dampener/dp/B002E323DS

Yeah that is the plan, as well as the lower hose as Iím not impressed at the contortions necessary to get my fat paws in there. Once more and forget about it.

Patrick of M
07-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Lasted 3 hours. It was nice to know that the leak was the problem, now I’ll just fix it again.