Diesel Fuel Downpour

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
After having read threads on "bad" (water infused or otherwise) diesel fuel and the effects on numerous Sprinter fuel filters, and other more expensive repairs, I'd like to get some FB on what happened to my '17 Sprinter 2500 Crew 4x4 this past Friday.

636 miles after having my fuel filter changed (the technician said a code revealed I had water in my diesel fuel/filter), my Sprinter started a diesel fuel downpour at a red light one mile from my home. My smartphone video captured it in my driveway, before it came to a stop with the engine turned off.

I had it towed to a Mercedes Sprinter service dept. I'm awaiting their phone call sometime today with some mixed feelings about this episode . . . and the future. I do love driving my Sprinter.
:idunno:

I greatly appreciated the thoughts and wisdom gleaned in those threads, I welcome more sage advice!

FW1987

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Without some other un-divulged fuel system problem, the most probable cause is that the tech who changed the fuel filter failed to securely attach one of the hoses to your filter. The second, but less likely is that one of the hoses failed, from mishandling by the tech or manufacturing defect. At two years old, age of the hose should not be an issue. Or third, the new fuel filter itself could have a manufacturing defect.

Finally, it you had water in the fuel, you should have gotten the WIF dash light.

If you are still in warranty and since the work was done at the dealership (most likely using MB parts) this round of work should be covered under warranty. When it is repaired, closely review the work order and if the cause of the downpour is not clear, clarify it with the service writer.

D

Deleted member 50714

I woukd make them detail the engine compartment, the diesel, if not removed, will attract and bake on dirt.

jzf0fk

I had the same issue... My son drive the van to work 20 minutes and left a trail of fuel along the way... Almost like bread crumbs...

I had some work done near the fuel line by the dealer and they didn't think it was related... The fix was $150....

I am just glad that this is diesel and not unleaded gas...

Redpillar

A quite common problem, is that when removing the fuel lines from the filter, you accidentally break the plastic T fitting that connects the fuel return lines to the stainless steel connector. IT sits right in the way of the fuel lines.. Easy to do, and will create a nice fuel leak if you don't notice it right away..

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
It also may be possible that the water removal hose was not secured.

(and this capability would be the first remedy for a water in fuel warning, I would imagine...)

The owners manual has a good description of this. (Draining the filter/water separator) whoever you took the van to for service is likely not familiar with this engine.

D

Deleted member 50714

(and this capability would be the first remedy for a water in fuel warning, I would imagine...)

The owners manual has a good description of this. (Draining the filter/water separator) whoever you took the van to for service is likely not familiar with this engine.
The 2015 water drain line appears "fused" or heat shrunk to the water sensor. Maybe the water drain valve was slightly open?

(Year of vehicle pictured unknown)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FourWheelers1987

That's not a good sign since the dealer in N.C. was one of M-B's dedicated Sprinter dealerships.
I actually spoke to the tech that day himself so he could explain how bad fuel can mess with the Sprinter fuel filters and thus the code mandating inspection and possible replacement to prevent further costly damage. He was not a young pup and seemed to know his business.

Somehow things got sloppy.

FourWheelers1987

I woukd make them detail the engine compartment, the diesel, if not removed, will attract and bake on dirt.
THANKS AND THIS MORNING'S UPDATE FOR ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED:

The service manager down here in FL called and said he'd document their belief that a grommet had been damaged during installation of the new fuel filter when it was replaced in May.

When I pick it up tomorrow afternoon (with new grommet on it's way now via FedEx), I will have to pay them then take up reimbursement with the dealer in N.C. Hmm, that'll be interesting . . .
I asked FL if this could just be a simple warranty issue and they said no. Ok, guess I've got some work to do. Hopefully, N.C. service won't be a PITA.

Regarding, cleaning I asked about a steam clean to get the dirt attracting diesel off the rest of the engine, mentioned steam cleaning with all the electrical wouldn't be wise. They're getting back to me on what another option would be
(Thanks Bobnoxious, I'd like it "detailed" not steamed).

Still love my Sprinter. Hopefully, my luck will improve.

:thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

The service manager down here in FL called and said he'd document their belief that a grommet had been damaged during installation of the new fuel filter when it was replaced in May.

When I pick it up tomorrow afternoon (with new grommet on it's way now via FedEx), I will have to pay them then take up reimbursement with the dealer in N.C. Hmm, that'll be interesting . . .
I asked FL if this could just be a simple warranty issue and they said no. Ok, guess I've got some work to do. Hopefully, N.C. service won't be a PITA.

Regarding, cleaning I asked about a steam clean to get the dirt attracting diesel off the rest of the engine, mentioned steam cleaning with all the electrical wouldn't be wise. They're getting back to me on what another option would be

I would not have confidence in others but, Steam or pressure washing can be accomplished without harm, just got to be careful, cover the ECU, not concentrate the water stream too harsh and allow to throughly dry prior to operation.

Training video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pE14jO2wkqo

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)

If you get a chance, can you pass on what "grommet" got damaged? Last time I changed my fuel filter in my 2015, I had 2 hoses, the water exfil line and a one electric plug - which looks something like the attached pic. (no grommets)

Attachments

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It would be nice if someone in the position of service manager would know that the are no grommets (?) anywhere in the system. He might mean the top o-ring on the WIF probe, which is about the only thing that could cause a leak at the filter proper other than a loose hose or physical failure of the filter cannister. If you intend to go after the installing dealer I'd advise trying to find out what is actually wrong, and make sure you get the damaged part in your possession or it may be difficult to make your case.

Last edited:

FourWheelers1987

It would be nice if someone in the position of service manager would know that the are no grommets (?) anywhere in the system. He might mean the top o-ring on the WIF probe, which is about the only thing that could cause a leak at the filter proper other than a loose hose or physical failure of the filter cannister. If you intend to go after the installing dealer I'd advise trying to find out what is actually wrong, and make sure you get the damaged part in your possession or it may be difficult to make your case.

EXCELLENT POINT!! Thank you . . .

FourWheelers1987

If you get a chance, can you pass on what "grommet" got damaged? Last time I changed my fuel filter in my 2015, I had 2 hoses, the water exfil line and a one electric plug - which looks something like the attached pic. (no grommets)
Per Smiler's recommendation, I'll also send you a pic of the damaged doohickey with the proper name.

manwithgun

Unknown member

I've noticed fuel collecting on the top of the filter and assumed it was the fuel lines @ clamp degrading. On a whim I pulled the WIF barrel and discovered damage to the upper o-ring.

FourWheelers1987

STATUS REPORT
I picked my Sprinter up this past Thursday. The service rep noted in his invoice that they "Found fuel connector damaged by improper installation - non-warrantable - line is unable to make secure connection and will not clip in for proper retention. Fuel collector line replacement required."

Unfortunately by the time, I made the request, they had already thrown away the damaged part.

They weren't comfortable spraying any water under the hood which is fine. I might do it selectively later. They did wipe? it with brake cleaner.

I spoke with the service rep of the dealership who installed the fuel filter in May on Friday and emailed him this invoice. He said he'd give it to his GM and he'd get back to me.

I hope I won't have to send him the :10 second video I took of the downpour with the healthy expletive :yell: at the end . . .

We'll see.

Sorry about the lack of a photo.

Thanks Again
FW1987

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
STATUS REPORT
I picked my Sprinter up this past Thursday. The service rep noted in his invoice that they "Found fuel connector damaged by improper installation - non-warrantable - line is unable to make secure connection and will not clip in for proper retention. Fuel collector line replacement required."

Unfortunately by the time, I made the request, they had already thrown away the damaged part.

They weren't comfortable spraying any water under the hood which is fine. I might do it selectively later. They did wipe? it with brake cleaner.

I spoke with the service rep of the dealership who installed the fuel filter in May on Friday and emailed him this invoice. He said he'd give it to his GM and he'd get back to me.

I hope I won't have to send him the :10 second video I took of the downpour with the healthy expletive :yell: at the end . . .

We'll see.

Sorry about the lack of a photo.

Thanks Again
FW1987

Before you declare victory, give this thread a read

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48673

unless you paid for a turbo inlet gasket, it likely was not replaced.

Now, I will admit that there are folks who say these can be reused, but with the performance history of the person who changed the filter in the first place, I would worry about the outcome.

my re-used turbo inlet gasket lasted just fine for around 8,000 miles, then went through my wallet.

Top Bottom