PDA

View Full Version : AP200 Scan

chrisinflight
07-11-2019, 10:02 PM
I did my first diagnostic fault scan with the Ap200 Bluetooth dongle and the android phone app. Relatively simple to use but I'm not sure it, s scanning T1N systems as I don't have half the stuff it scanned like airbags, alarms, air pressure sensors etc. The only EML light I have is the glow plug light which goes off straight away then stays on for 30 sec. each start after the first. Is there a sep. code for the relay or control unit or is it really all 4 plugs out?

Cheyenne
07-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Chris,

You appear to be using the 'Generic' OBDII settings which will give limited information for a Sprinter (my experience is with the slightly older MD802).

Have you selected your free vehicle line as 'BENZ - Sprinter'? If not this appears to be the best option, certainly for T1N (and again very similar to the MD802). Then go through Benz - Sprinter and either the 901 - 903 menu option or the KWP option. You should then see all the possible modules listed.

There are write ups in the Scanner sub-forum of Sprinter-talk.

Keith.

The Grand Tour
07-12-2019, 02:26 AM
I did my first diagnostic fault scan...

Why?

...with the Ap200 Bluetooth dongle and the android phone app. Relatively simple to use but I'm not sure it, s scanning T1N systems as I don't have half the stuff it scanned like airbags, alarms, air pressure sensors etc. The only EML light I have is the glow plug light which goes off straight away then stays on for 30 sec. each start after the first. Is there a sep. code for the relay or control unit or is it really all 4 plugs out?

Paragraphs, dude.

Do you have any symptom(s), and if so, what are the symptom(s) of your Complaint?

You're not gonna fix your car with your cell phone. If at some point you need a scanner, then buy a proper scanner. We have a sub-forum for scanners here.

autostaretx
07-12-2019, 03:02 AM
Here's the part of the display that Cheyenne was talking about...

Until you've loaded the Benz -> Benz_Sprinter model software/license, you're not getting the full story.

--dick

Aqua Puttana
07-12-2019, 03:09 AM

You're not gonna fix your car with your cell phone. If at some point you need a scanner, then buy a proper scanner. We have a sub-forum for scanners here.
:idunno:

A scan tool is a computer. It is programmed to read data, compile, and display.

The AP200 plug unit is a Bluetooth interface device. A modern cell phone is a computer. A modern cell phone loaded with the Autel AP200 app becomes a computer which reads data, compiles, and displays.

There may be scan tool programs which have better capabilities than the AP200 cell phone interface program, but that doesn't mean that the AP200 isn't a proper scan tool.

:cheers: vic

rollerbearing
07-12-2019, 03:51 AM
........We have a sub-forum for scanners here.

Some of us have Sprinters too. :lol:

Bobnoxious
07-12-2019, 05:43 AM
What about tickling the ABS brick?

RJV
07-12-2019, 12:49 PM
There are 5 glow plugs, so my hunch would be if you're getting 4 codes and not 5, it is likely you have 4 bad glow plugs. They can be easy or difficult get swap out, depending on if they're stuck or not. Research and patience go a long way. They aren't that expensive. As for the module, search around the site for info. The originals had a fusible link that when melted/separated would deem them inoperable--requiring a DIY soldering project or replacement with a newer solid state version that removed the fusible link. By this point in 2019, many of the older modules have long since fried and were replaced with the newer model somewhere along the way. Or not. These are easy to replace and again, in the grand scheme of all things T1N, are relatively inexpensive.

chrisinflight
07-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Thank you all for the advice, I will try the scan again.
Yes, I have the benz_sprinter software installed. I auto-scanned and it found my VIN.

I have 4 glow plugs not 5 as I have the 2.1 OM611 engine.

smiller
07-12-2019, 07:34 PM
It is also possible for a failed glow plug controller to throw erroneous codes for bad plugs. I would manually check the resistance of the plugs and that should give you an idea of whether they are really bad or not.

The Grand Tour
07-12-2019, 07:58 PM
It is also possible to a failed glow plug controller to throw erroneous codes for bad plugs. I would manually check the resistance of the plugs and that should give you an idea of whether they are really bad or not.

Excellent. :thumbup:

That demonstrates the importance of diagnosis, as opposed to guessing- replacing parts based solely on codes would just be guessing.

Nautamaran
07-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Thank you all for the advice, I will try the scan again.
Yes, I have the benz_sprinter software installed. I auto-scanned and it found my VIN.

I have the iOS version, but found the auto-scan defaults to the SAE/OBDII path, and won’t allow me to select the Benz-Sprinter path until I log in (annoying... another password).
The auto-detect doesn’t identify my van, so I’m given the manual selection menu instead.
(which is fine, since I’ve noticed live data variations between 901/WD US/Canada/Mexico selections)

The SAE path accesses a completely different ECU function for live data, and by using “generic” meanings can interpret DTCs differently than would the MB-specific “Benz-Sprinter” add-on.
The SAE path will also be unable to connect to anything beyond the engine module, while the Benz-Sprinter path can connect to ALL of my T1N’s modules, including the Espar boost heater.

-dave

Cheyenne
07-12-2019, 08:53 PM

So you are a fellow Brit :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just found the pic in your first post!

Keith.