PDA

View Full Version : No power at low speed, oil loss and sometimes limp mode

drouinphilippe
07-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm having a couple issues which I hope are linked on my 2006. When I change my oil, i find that it goes dark very fast compared to my other cars (pretty black after 2000km). I use 5w40 synthetic Shell or Mobil 1 oil. I know some oil is leaking between the turbo and my aftermarket aluminium resonator. I've tried everything and there is just no way I can get it to fit properly and seal the gap. I'm about to JB weld that thing to be honest, and if I had the time I'd just get the turbo out and TIG weld the resonator to it. The leak seems to stop when the oil level is at minimum.

My driving symptoms are low power at low speed and going uphill and infrequent limp mode. On a flat highway I can hit 160 without a problem. I have fitted it with 265 75 tires so I'm expecting a little less power but I still feel like something is wrong. I never got an ECL.

I'm not sure about what I should try first. The van still crosses the Rockies weighing 8000 lbs.

Best regards,

Phil

The Grand Tour
07-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome.

I'm having a couple issues...

I'm sorry to hear that.

...which I hope are linked on my 2006.

Why do you hope your issues are linked?

When I change my oil, i find that it goes dark very fast compared to my other cars (pretty black after 2000km). I use 5w40 synthetic Shell or Mobil 1 oil.

Are your other vehicles diesels?

It's pretty normal for diesels to blacken their oil pretty quickly.

I know some oil is leaking between the turbo and my aftermarket aluminium resonator. I've tried everything and there is just no way I can get it to fit properly and seal the gap. I'm about to JB weld that thing to be honest, and if I had the time I'd just get the turbo out and TIG weld the resonator to it. The leak seems to stop when the oil level is at minimum.

The turbocharger and resonator are designed to move air, not oil.

Is your turbocharger leaking engine oil past the compressor shaft seal into the intake air tract? That's not supposed to happen.

My driving symptoms are low power at low speed and going uphill and infrequent limp mode. On a flat highway I can hit 160 without a problem.

I'm assuming you mean 160kph (99mph).

I have fitted it with 265 75 tires so I'm expecting a little less power...

Yup.

...but I still feel like something is wrong.

We'll try to help. :thumbup:

I never got an ECL.

I suspect you're referring to the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp), which is sometimes referred to as a "CEL" (Check Engine Light).

I'm not sure about what I should try first.

I would recommend having a competent Sprinter technician diagnose the Cause of your Concern, and then Correct it.

The van still crosses the Rockies weighing 8000 lbs.

Excellent. :thumbup:

Best regards,

Phil

Aqua Puttana
07-11-2019, 08:09 PM
An oil leak at the turbo "resonator" is a clue that there may be an air leak. The entrained oil in the charge air system carries out a bit with the leaking air. Leaking in the charge air (boost) system can cause power loss and sporadic LHM. There is not always a MIL aka CEL or DTC triggered.

You mention welding the turbo "resonator" to the turbo. That implies that you don't have a TR, but do have an aluminum body turbo resonator eliminator. The Turbo Resonator units are black plastic.

There is some history of the eliminators not lining up properly or otherwise sealing. There are some various brands. Have you replaced the O-ring seal? Those seals can deteriorate or possibly not fit properly to the eliminator.

My suggestion is to first narrow down and address the oil leaking around the turbo. That may relate to an air leak or possibly the turbo bearing oil supply system.

:cheers: vic

The Grand Tour
07-11-2019, 08:12 PM
An oil leak at the turbo "resonator" is a clue that there may be an air leak. The entrained oil in the charge air system carries out a bit with the leaking air. Leaking in the charge air (boost) system can cause power loss and sporadic LHM. There is not always a MIL aka CEL or DTC triggered.

You mention welding the turbo "resonator" to the turbo. That implies that you don't have a TR, but do have an aluminum body turbo resonator eliminator. The Turbo Resonator units are black plastic.

There is some history of the eliminators not lining up properly or otherwise sealing. There are some various brands. Have you replaced the O-ring seal? Those seals can deteriorate or possibly not fit properly to the eliminator.

My suggestion is to first narrow down and address the oil leaking around the turbo. That may relate to an air leak or possibly the turbo bearing oil supply system.

:cheers: vic

Bingo!

Thanks, Vic. :thumbup:

Midwestdrifter
07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Not all O-rings are created equal. Get a fresh one and try it on the turbo outlet. IT should be a firm fit.

Oil turning black is normal on turbo diesels with EGR. It will normally be nice and black after 500 miles or so. Nothing wrong with that.

drouinphilippe
07-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I did change the o ring for a 5$Viton O ring, the cream of the cream. I’m thinking my resonator/ eliminator is simply badly proportioned, I’ll just switch back to a plastic one when I have time. Also, any links on deleting the EGR?

Midwestdrifter
07-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Its not worth the cost in my opinion. The only option you have is a expensive software tune/reflash of the ECM. Don't bother with the "EGR simulator" circuits, they don't work.

Regardless the EGR soot does little to harm the engine, and does a lot to reduce the smog producing NOx

The Grand Tour
07-13-2019, 08:09 PM
...and removing or disabling the EGR is a federal criminal offense.