PDA

View Full Version : Transmission reset procedure.

skwoodwiva
07-11-2019, 03:37 PM
With a light foot the trans is shifting at what seems like very late points. Heavier foot equals even later points.

I will observe & get them posted but for now
~2000 or more,
then as late as 2700 or more,
than ~2000 for the last 2.

I am planning a trip in 2 week's & and my mechanic friend will reset it for me at any time w/ the Dodge tool.

My motivation is to get the best fuel economy.
While many say keeping the load under 50% is what to watch, I find the GPH (Torque & OC.Tech both are identical in this.) belies this advice and leads me to believe early shifting is best.

Aqua Puttana
07-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Does your situation fall within any of the mentioned triggers for adaptation being necessary? Were any transmission related parts replaced?

You may have other issues affecting your transmission operation. Adaptation may not accomplish what you are seeking.

:2cents: vic

Midwestdrifter
07-11-2019, 04:10 PM
The trans will adapt on its own. You can perform the procedure without a scanner. The engine must be left on for 10 minutes after to ensure the values are stored.

skwoodwiva
07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
:clapping:
It is working.
Reset it 2 days ago. I found the 405 from the 5 to 101 best, a continuous slope.

The down shifts are done 1st. This is the easiest.
Just keep nudging the shifter left then right & you notice an RPM blip when it downshifts

The ups are harder. But same nudging. Just keep at 1500 on a slight slope. It takes a long time. Many honks from LA pee brains even w/ flashers and signals being used w/o flashers.
Breakdown lane needed at times.

I wait 10 minutes after my last 1500 rpm run to shut off.

MWD says it learns 24/7 .

Midwestdrifter
07-17-2019, 04:17 PM
So you did without a scan tool?

skwoodwiva
07-17-2019, 04:24 PM
So you did without a scan tool?
When I stopped by a VN member's place he reset it w/ his solus ultra & said my pro would do it too.

Edit if it does do this continuously then wait the 10 minutes too. If you have a good run in short time.
If it is shifting where you want then it is no matter.

Aqua Puttana
07-17-2019, 05:28 PM
When I stopped by a VN member's place he reset it w/ his solus ultra & said my pro would do it too.

Edit if it does do this continuously then wait the 10 minutes too. If you have a good run in short time.
If it is shifting where you want then it is no matter.
I'm still a bit fuzzy on how you did it.

The procedure that I recall was that the DRBIII would be connected and monitored by a second person during a kinda strict teach in process. It sounds like you reset the TCM and then just used a basic set routine without a second person monitoring anything.

If that is the case, it sounds much easier than what I recall being described.

:cheers: vic

Added:
Ah. I noticed the Alldata sheet. I presume you followed that.

flyag1
07-17-2019, 11:15 PM
It goes something like this:

Engine off turn key to second detent... dash light will be on

Depress accelerator to floor and wait 1 minute... hold it down.

Turn key off and then release accelerator... wait 10 minutes.

Go drive and have fun.

Midwestdrifter
07-17-2019, 11:29 PM
I don't think that works on the sprinter (i have tried it). Using a compatible scanner to reset adaptations to defaults did create changes for me.

flyag1
07-17-2019, 11:47 PM
I'm not taking your bait: but I have 2 sprinter and it works equally well on both.

Midwestdrifter
07-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Its not bait, I have tried it myself a couple of times without any noticable change. What year of sprinter? OM612 or 647? I am simply curious about your experience.

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 02:01 AM
Its not bait, I have tried it myself a couple of times without any noticable change. What year of sprinter? OM612 or 647? I am simply curious about your experience.
I'm with you. I'm curious.

What is the symptom/condition which needs to be cured?
What are the noticeable changes in operation after the key/throttle/timing dance is complete?

At 329,000+ miles my 2004 transmission still operates just fine. In fact, it shifts/operates very much the same as the 2006 with around 175,000 miles on the clock. I've had no reason to consider doing any form of adaptive procedure.

I'm willing to experiment with both the 2004 and 2006, but not until I know what changes to look for after doing the dance.

skwoodwiva
07-18-2019, 03:13 AM
Ok all,
I am into it more yet not fully aware of all permutations.
I just reset w/ a solus 1 time. Then followed the MB instructions.
Next day w/ a cold trans it sifted way earlier 1500 to 1800 revs.

Now slight barely noticeable inclines can be confused w/ a hot trans causing a later shift. Both these may be making mine shift later as the day went on.

However I did discover that a right bump to the shifter causes an earlier shift, just like a manual operator on a manual trans, no delay if the computer allows. Not if incline needs more torque, so to speak. :clapping:

So I just drive through slight inclines bumping right & getting shifts 1500 to 1800 revs consistently. I never tried this right bump before. Whereas earlier in the day,same conditions, w/o bumping resulted in 2000 to 2200 revs w/ light normal acceleration which is also an improvement. I need to risk getting honked at to get it to shift automatically at 1500 to 1800 in this 4 ton tin.

flyag1
07-18-2019, 04:28 AM
Not sure about all but the 2015 and the 2018 models I have now responded. both 6 cyl

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 01:21 PM

However I did discover that a right bump to the shifter causes an earlier shift, just like a manual operator on a manual trans, no delay if the computer allows. ...
Upshift or downshift?

Neither the 2004 or 2006 has any perceptible delay when I bump the lever to the left for downshift or the right for up.

You may be seeing symptoms of some sensor or part(s) going wonky. It may be as simple as the shifter contacts being out of spec. That wouldn't explain late automatic shifts though.

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Not sure about all but the 2015 and the 2018 models I have now responded. both 6 cyl
Again. But what are the conditions before and after "responded".

Why is the dance necessary?

flyag1
07-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Again. But what are the conditions before and after "responded".

Why is the dance necessary?

Driving around town all the time the trans starts shifting at low RPM. Reset to factory and the shift will be at a much higher rpm... and if just running a block or two the trans will stay in a lower gear and not try to shift to overdrive or high gear.

Midwestdrifter
07-18-2019, 01:32 PM
I find that bumping the shifter up, and holding for about 750ms triggers an upshift. Its useful after cresting a long climb, and the TCM holds the gear for a minute or more.

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Driving around town all the time the trans starts shifting at low RPM. Reset to factory and the shift will be at a much higher rpm... and if just running a block or two the trans will stay in a lower gear and not try to shift to overdrive or high gear.
Thanks.

Neither the 2004 or the 2006 exhibit any similar symptoms to what you describe so there is no reason for me to experiment.

Aqua Puttana
07-18-2019, 01:43 PM
I find that bumping the shifter up, and holding for about 750ms triggers an upshift. Its useful after cresting a long climb, and the TCM holds the gear for a minute or more.
Ok. So right bump upshift is the discussion?

If I want to trigger an upshift I bump the shifter right and let off the throttle slightly. Otherwise the upshift will happen as programmed. I'll try the right hold method sometime, but mostly I'm happy with the programmed responses following a right or left bump so I don't mess with it.

skwoodwiva
07-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Upshift or downshift?

Neither the 2004 or 2006 has any perceptible delay when I bump the lever to the left for downshift or the right for up.

You may be seeing symptoms of some sensor or part(s) going wonky. It may be as simple as the shifter contacts being out of spec. That wouldn't explain late automatic shifts though.

All of what I did was in auto mode "D".
Except to discover present gear used, but tach blip watching is better for downshifts.