low turbo boost and other persistant problems in 2008

JDD

I have a 2008 3.0 turbo diesel. with one new and a couple nagging problems. I got 72000 miles I have only had to replace one set of tires, just did brakes ,and changed the battery and alternator last fall. I replace all glow plugs at 65000 mils and #3 (rear plug passenger side 2 more times. ) It was running fine but showing problems at #3 should I look at the glow plug controller as being the problem. I live in southeast Louisiana a faulty glow plug is not much of a problem. I just drove back from FLA with a new problem. The evening before leaving i put a can of roy purple injector cleaner in a half tank of gas. I ran it up to 3500 rpm in 3rd gear for a few minutes then put it up for the night. Next morning departed for home . the short trip to the interstate was down hill , I did not notice any problems. Once on T he interstate I noticed a lack of power and a top speed of only 65 mph. In about 40 miles pulled into a auto zone to do a scan. plug # 3 was out, low performance, low turbo boost. I purchased a scan tool cleared codes disconnected power for 3 or 4 mins hoping to clear LHM. I restarted no engine lite, but now change in the power. after a 100 miles a new engine lite, scanned it is showing only low turbo boost. When I got home I I pulled the air filter and feed turbo vanes are spinning. Its been storming here so I have not gotten below to check other than a quick inspection on the road. plumbing looks good. I had a problem 2 months back were the turbo silencer was slipping out of its pipe. I replace it plus the pipe. The old pipe had a cracked mount. At that time I replaced the factory ends. Hose looked good. Is it likely that the injector cleaner caused a problem with the pre-filter and the computer pulled the turbo off line. How do I clear that. What would you suggest I look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I would look at the turbo plumbing more closely since it was a recent known problem on your van. Any minor leaks in that area will cause limp mode and low boost.

I have a 2008 3.0 turbo diesel. with one new and a couple nagging problems. I got 72000 miles I have only had to replace one set of tires, just did brakes ,and changed the battery and alternator last fall. I replace all glow plugs at 65000 mils and #3 (rear plug passenger side 2 more times. ) It was running fine but showing problems at #3 should I look at the glow plug controller as being the problem. I live in southeast Louisiana a faulty glow plug is not much of a problem. I just drove back from FLA with a new problem. The evening before leaving i put a can of roy purple injector cleaner in a half tank of gas. I ran it up to 3500 rpm in 3rd gear for a few minutes then put it up for the night. Next morning departed for home . the short trip to the interstate was down hill , I did not notice any problems. Once on T he interstate I noticed a lack of power and a top speed of only 65 mph. In about 40 miles pulled into a auto zone to do a scan. plug # 3 was out, low performance, low turbo boost. I purchased a scan tool cleared codes disconnected power for 3 or 4 mins hoping to clear LHM. I restarted no engine lite, but now change in the power. after a 100 miles a new engine lite, scanned it is showing only low turbo boost. When I got home I I pulled the air filter and feed turbo vanes are spinning. Its been storming here so I have not gotten below to check other than a quick inspection on the road. plumbing looks good. I had a problem 2 months back were the turbo silencer was slipping out of its pipe. I replace it plus the pipe. The old pipe had a cracked mount. At that time I replaced the factory ends. Hose looked good. Is it likely that the injector cleaner caused a problem with the pre-filter and the computer pulled the turbo off line. How do I clear that. What would you suggest I look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

showkey

Agree with turbo pressure leaks should be checked and rechecked......every joint, oring, hose and fitting along with the orange gasket.

Maybe a more friendly MB scan tool will show other issues or the real issue..........my internet guess:

There’s an EGR issue....like.......EGR valve, sensors temp or pressure, EGR cooler or worse the intake swirl valves. Again just a guess......

Last edited:

Top Bottom