PDA

View Full Version : can I retrofit cruise control

cosman2001@mac.com
07-08-2019, 02:50 AM
Can I retrofit a cruise control switch on a TN1? I see the newer models can be fitted with CC but cannot find an authoritative answer on the TN1.

Found this on autozone.com but I am not sure if it is actually compatible with 2005 model.

Duralast Cruise Control Switch SW5251

If this kit does fit, is this something I can do myself?

Rickpcmp3
07-08-2019, 03:03 AM
Short answer: not exactly

Longer answer: After installing that switch, and the additional wiring harness to the ECM (not included in the kit you reference) you'll need to have a DRB3 scantool w/ Sprinter card installed turn on your cruise in the ECM.

jrod5150
07-08-2019, 04:45 AM
If your heading south, I can set you up with a cruise control retrofit. I charge $600 for parts and labor.

ions82
07-08-2019, 05:24 AM
If your heading south, I can set you up with a cruise control retrofit. I charge $600 for parts and labor.

Are you able to do other ECU programming, as well?

jrod5150
07-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Theres a few options that can be changed that are within factory specifications. I can add factory keys and key fobs. What were you thinking?

mountainhick
07-08-2019, 03:09 PM
This topic is well covered on this forum if you search. More than a few have attempted or done it, myself included. You need the correct Mercedes switch which screws right into the steering column/multi switch, then either an additional wire pigtail with connector or you can hard wire the length of the wires to the pins (pins are special order from Germany) that insert into the ECM connector. Then you need the ECM reprogrammed. SOS diagnostics reprogrammed mine for about $100.

It is not a difficult job per se, but it is finicky, especially getting the pin connections right. You need the right wire, with right insulation, plus the correct crimp tool would be a boon. I had all sorts of trouble because of wire insulation that was too bulky, then because I didn't have the crimp tool soldered the pins, and the solder ran into the female sockets, so I had to replace a couple pins before I could even plug them into the ECM connector.

Do a search here, all of this and lots more is recounted.

cosman2001@mac.com
07-09-2019, 12:35 AM

I don't have any type of programmer except for the VAG comm tool for VW. I do plan on picking up a programmer but nothing too expensive.

Van is in Georgia. How far south?

@mountainhick. I searched for hours and only came up with used parts for tn1. Also searched google. Lots of stuff for newer model though.

99sport
07-09-2019, 01:10 AM
See the third paragraph in this post https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=784857&postcount=10 (headed: Cruise control) for the download of the cruise control parts list and installation instructions. Info on the cost of the switch can also be found in that post and info on programing can be found in later posts in the same thread. I payed $252 delivered to my door for the switch, pins, and connector from https://parts.jackingrammercedes.com/. I would suggest you deviate from the posted instructions in two ways, use 20 AWG instead of 18, and make the harness > 2' (rather than the 12" the instructions say). The screw from Mercedes has been discontinued, so you will have to find your own screw and source your own wire.

mountainhick
07-09-2019, 12:06 PM
@mountainhick. I searched for hours and only came up with used parts for tn1. Also searched google. Lots of stuff for newer model though.

I bought the switch used... works fine. YMMV

BTW, you might try searches on T1N not TN1